DONALD Trump celebrated Brett Kavanaugh’s controversial election to the Supreme Court declaring it an “historic night” for America. He also hit out at his rivals in the Democratic Party for what he called a “shameless campaign of political and personal destruction” against his nominee. Earlier, Kavanaugh was confirmed to the US Supreme Court despite the high-profile sexual assault allegations levelled against him. By a vote of 50-48, the Senate gave a lifetime job to the conservative nominee, 53, after weeks of fierce debate over sexual violence that has divided the US. To cheers of supporters in Topeka, Kansas, Trump declared it an “historic night” not long after signing the paperwork to make Kavanaugh’s status official. “I stand before you today on the heels of a tremendous victory for our nation in the face of the Democrats’ shameless campaign of political and personal destruction,” he said. Kavanaugh was sworn in as a justice Saturday evening in Washington after an extraordinarily fraught nomination that sparked angry protests. On hearing news, Trump delivered a double thumbs-up to reporters and his aides from his desk on Air Force One. “Very, very good,” Trump said. “Very happy about it. Great decision. I very much appreciate… Read full this story
- Is this Donald Trump's best month yet?
- Abroad in America: A Mixed-Results Election That Left Everyone Happy — Because It’s Over
- Top Arizona political stories 2018: John McCain's death, Sinema elected
- Roe v. Wade: How a Cincinnati couple took on legalized abortion
- Roe v. Wade: How an Ohio couple took on legalized abortion
- America Is Racist. So What Do We Do Now? Activist Lawyer Bryan Stevenson Has Some Answers
- Amy Klobuchar is the only one not talking about Amy Klobuchar running for president in 2020
- ‘It got a little heated’: GOP infighting almost killed criminal justice reform
Donald Trump celebrates Brett Kavanaugh victory with supporters as judge elected to Supreme Court have 295 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at October 7, 2018. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.