HONOLULU — Super Typhoon Yutu crossed over the U.S. commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands early Thursday as the equivalent of a Category 5 hurricane, making it the strongest storm to hit any part of the U.S. this year, the National Weather Service said. Gregorio Kilili Camacho Sablan, the Commonwealth of the Northern Marina Islands’ delegate to U.S. Congress, said the territory will need significant help to recover from the storm, which he said injured several people. In a telephone interview with The Associated Press from Saipan, Sablan said he has heard reports of injuries and that people are waiting at the island’s hospital to be treated. He could not provide further details or official estimates of casualties. “There’s a lot of damage and destruction,” Sablan said. “It’s like a small war just passed through.”Neighbor islands unreachable Sablan said the entire island sustained damage, but there are areas that are worse than others. He has not been able to reach officials on the territory’s neighbor islands of Tinian and Rota because phones and electricity are out. “It’s going to take weeks probably to get electricity back to everybody,” he said. Sablan says colleagues in Congress have reached out to offer… Read full this story
- Super Typhoon Nepartak hits Taiwan, cutting electricity and transport links
- Woman drops six stone and five dress sizes by ditching junk food… and now prides herself on looking like BARBIE
- Male Britney Spears superfan has spent £60,000 to look like his idol – including Botox, fat injections and a nose job
- Male Kim Kardashian lookalikes who’ve spent nearly £200K on surgery to look like their idol have a VERY public fallout
- It’s like a real-life Tardis! Incredible house looks too small to swing a cat from the outside… but has plenty of room inside
- Remember Lavender from Matilda? She’s just turned 30 and you won’t believe what she looks like now
- Tiny critter looks like it’s on ant-abolic steroids as it lifts a bee five times its size
- Film Interview: The War at Home
- Hurricanes, typhoons and cyclones: What's the difference?
- Is it a person? Is it a group? No, it's Super-Pac!
After Super Typhoon, Marianas Look ‘Like a Small War’ have 357 words, post on www.voanews.com at October 25, 2018. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.