George Papadopoulos says he made a "terrible mistake." Photo: Mandel Ngan/AFP/Getty Images George Papadopoulos, the former Trump campaign aide who pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI, was sentenced to 14 days in jail Friday . The 31-year-old, who was also ordered to pay a $9,500 fine and perform community service, is the first person to be sentenced in special counsel Robert Mueller's probe into Russia election interference. Papadopoulos's sentence comes more than year after his July 2017 arrest for lying to the FBI about the timing of his contacts with Joseph Mifsud, a professor with deep Russian contacts. Papadopoulos initially told the FBI that he spoke to Mifsud, who told him about Russian "dirt" on Hillary Clinton, before he joined the Trump campaign. The conversations actually occurred after he was brought on as a foreign policy adviser. Prosecutors said the lies Papadopoulos told slowed the investigation and prevented the FBI from arresting Mifsud before he could leave the United States. He hasn't returned since. "I made a terrible mistake," Papadopoulos said a courtroom statement. "I hope to have a second chance to redeem myself." Thomas Breen, Papadopoulos's lawyer, admitted that his client had been "naive" and "a fool," but… Read full this story
- Jan. 6 panel subpoenas Trump campaign adviser Cleta Mitchell, five others
- Bill Cosby Goes MAGA In Launching Another Appeal To Get Out Of Jail; Wants New 2004 Rape Trial
- Teen climate activist takes 14-day trans-Atlantic boat trip to UN summit to 'make a stand'
- FBI Making Inquiry Into Ex-Trump Campaign Manager's Foreign Ties
- CBI court sends former NSE chief Chitra Ramkrishna to jail for 14 days
- 'Lectern Guy' Gets 75 Days In Prison For Capitol Riot: Report
- He Was Branded the ‘American Taliban.’ Now He’s Getting Out of Jail.
- Magistrates to get power to jail offenders for a year
- Jussie Smollett Gets 150 Days in Jail, 30 Months Probation: 'You're Just a Charlatan,' ‘Haven't Stopped Lying'
- REPORT: Richard Sherman Gets 90-Day Suspended Jail Sentence After Being Arrested In Washington
Trump Campaign Adviser George Papadopoulos Gets 14 Days in Jail have 339 words, post on nymag.com at September 7, 2018. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.