YAOUNDE, Cameroon (AP) — A “horrifying” video circulating on social media shows Cameroon’s security forces shooting at least a dozen unarmed civilians during a counterterror operation in the Far North region, Amnesty International said Friday, and Cameroon said seven soldiers had been arrested. It follows another video in July that the rights group said showed Cameroonian forces shooting two women with small children strapped to their backs as suspected Boko Haram extremists. The growing concerns about alleged abuses by a U.S. security ally pose a challenge to 85-year-old President Paul Biya, one of Africa’s longest-serving leaders, who is running for another term in October after taking office in 1982. Cameroonian authorities have arrested seven soldiers suspected to have committed the acts reported Friday by Amnesty International, said government spokesman Issa Tchiroma Bakary, who called the crimes unacceptable. Biya has ordered investigations into the shootings and many more people may be arrested in the days ahead, Bakary said. In the past the government has denied such killings by security forces as they combat Boko Haram, whose fighters have spilled over the border from Nigeria and carried out bombings and other attacks. The government has said reported abuses are investigated and defended… Read full this story
- Is HBO’s ‘Westworld’ Really About Video Games?
- 6 Killed In Jersey City Shooting Standoff; Police Officer Dies
- From Iranian refugee to gold-toothed Instagram star: The REAL story behind heavily-tattooed 'Muslim soldier's' rise from 'nothing' to earning a fortune for photo shoots of his 'Lamborghini' body
- 'You're going to die': Maduro's death squad interrogates an unarmed Venezuelan shopkeeper, 29, moments before they shoot him inside his home - contradicting the official police report that he died in an alleyway gun battle
- Charlie Hebdo shooting: Killers stalk their prey and mercilessly kill a police officer
- Arkansas police officer 'executed' in car was shot 10 times in the head, investigators say as video emerges
- How ISIS-trained child soldiers are a ticking time bomb
- Toning Down Inconsistencies, Excluding Experts, and Ignoring Evidence: What New OPCW Leaks Show Us
- Jersey City Shooting: Wake Today, Funeral Tuesday For Det. Joseph Seals
- 'This attack is a response to the Hispanic invasion of Texas': El Paso Walmart shooter Patrick Crusius, 21, posted twisted anti-Mexican manifesto online 20 minutes before storming store with an AK-47, shooting dead 20 people and wounding 26
Video shows Cameroon’s soldiers shooting cowering civilians have 374 words, post on apnews.com at August 10, 2018. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.