THE music world was left devastated in April when Avicii died aged just 28 in an apparent suicide.
I can reveal she will take to the stage at the ceremony in New York’s Radio City Music Hall to perform Lonely Together, his final single — released last year and featuring Rita.
A music insider said: “Rita was hit hard by Avicii’s death and she knew she wanted to do something special to properly celebrate him and his legacy.
“She has spoken about him on stage while performing the song but she was thrilled when the VMAs said they would like her to do something at the ceremony.
“Details have been kept secret but it will not be a straightforward performance.”
Lonely Together is nominated in the Dance Video and Visual Effects categories at the event, which airs on August 21 at 8pm on MTV in the UK.
Ariana Grande, Logic, Shawn Mendes, One Republic and Jennifer Lopez will also perform. During his decade-long career Avicii — real name Tim Bergling — had nine UK top ten hits including No1s I Could Be The One and Wake Me Up.
Following the Swedish musician’s death, Rita tweeted: “I have no words. I remember how amazing it was to make Lonely Together and it felt like just yesterday we were talking.
“Condolences to Avicii’s family, friends, and the fans who supported him. May he rest in peace. Heartbroken.”
There won’t be a dry eye in the house come awards night.
READ ON FOR THE REST OF
Lou’s a track star
Louisa had her biggest hit with Clean Bandit collaboration Tears – and now she is returning to her dance roots for another massive tune.
Her first single since parting ways with record label Syco last month and joining Ministry of Sound was released yesterday, and it’s a stonking summer floorfiller.
Speaking about Between You And Me, made with production duo One Bit, she said: “I love dance and club music and I’ve spent the summer recording some real bangers. I’m so excited for people to hear my new tracks. I’ve been having the time of my life out in Ibiza this summer recording new songs.
“I love the energy there, it’s all about music and good times.”
All that partying certainly sounds like it’s paying off for her.
Toff: Chelsea see you later
SINCE winning I’m A Celeb last year, Georgia “Toff” Toffolo has been so busy with presenting stints on This Morning and writing a book, she’s left Made In Chelsea.
A telly source said: “Toff is really proud of everything she achieved on Made in Chelsea. But now she is eager to pursue new TV projects.
“She didn’t take part in the current series in Croatia, and hasn’t signed up for the following series in London.”
The source added: “She’s keen to follow in the footsteps of Scarlett Moffatt and Vicky Pattison and move away from partying on camera.
“She may return one day in the future and still remains friends with the cast.”
Britney Spears has fans asking her to Gimme More after posting this selfie of her stage outfit.
The singer is 36 and looks abs-olutely great.
- The Weeknd has backed Idris Elba to be James Bond when Daniel Craig quits. He wrote on Instagram: “Please make it happen.” Paddy Power yesterday suspended bets on Idris taking the role.
- Rocker Atticus Ross from Nine Inch Nails and director Sam Taylor-Johnson are creating their own channels for music app Stack. A host of DJs and artists will also put playlists on the new service.
- Cardi B will release new music on September 1 – just six weeks after giving birth to first child Kulture. She told fans on Instagram Live that she is working on six tunes with other artists and five more songs.
- Move over Sir Ian McKellen – Snoop Dogg is to star in a play. Redemption Of A Dogg – based on the rapper’s life – will tour the US this autumn. It celebrates the 25th anniversary of his debut album’s release.
Katy Perry reaches out to Australian ranchers hit by a record drought – by dressing as a farmer.
The singer, currently on tour Down Under, made the surprising show of solidarity for east coast landworkers during a trip to a shopping centre in Brisbane.
After donning a wide-brimmed hat and flannel shirt, she declared: “Take that, drought!”
The visit happened hours before her gig in the city as part of the Oz leg of her Witness world tour.
No wonder she’s trying to get the locals onside – her remaining four gigs in Sydney next week are not sell-outs.
- THERE is no doubt Ellie Goulding is head over heels for partner Caspar Jopling following their engagement.
After thanking fans for supportive messages via Instagram, she wrote of her Sotheby’s art dealer fiancé: “You’re the most wonderful person I’ve ever known, and I can’t wait to be your very giggly, in awe and loved-up wife.”
- LIFE will never be the same for Lady Gaga after shooting her lead role in new musical A Star Is Born opposite Bradley Cooper. She said: “It just has changed me. Watching Bradley work was phenomenal and then having him believe in me – it gave me more ammunition to believe in myself.” The film is due out later this year.
- DRAKE is staying atop the singles charts for a fourth week with In My Feelings, which has been streamed 10.6million times in seven days. Meanwhile, the Mamma Mia 2 soundtrack is still at No1 on the album chart. Highest new album entry of the week is Travis Scott’s Astroworld, making its debut at No3.
- LUCIE SILVAS has revealed that her latest single will be called Girls From California, which is to be released ahead of her fourth album E.G.O. The British singer-songwriter, who supported American country rocker Chris Stapleton on his tour in the US last year, is planning to release the record on August 24.
OVER HOLLYWOOD THRILLS?
Paul Hollywood’s lover, 23, storms home early from romantic holiday
LOTTE’S LOCK SHOCK
Charlotte McKinney casts her net in mesh as she changes her hairstyle
Paloma Faith pestered for selfies after rushing her sick baby to hospital
Ashley Roberts hopes to find love with a single pro dancer on Strictly
TEN O’CLOCK MOVES
Glamorous BBC newsreader Kate Silverton is latest celeb to join Strictly
ALL ROVER EACH OTHER
Corrie’s Sally and Joe’s real-life romance heats up after secret dates
Oz fans don’t Carey
The one-time megastar has scrapped her entire Australian tour, which has sold diabolically, and she had already pushed back the doomed dates from February to October due to the same issue.
In a statement, she said: “It is with much regret that I am unable to visit Australia and New Zealand later this year, however I promise to find new dates soon.”
Mariah’s ticket sales have been tanking ever since she fired her manager Stella Bulochnikov last November, but the star blamed the tour cancellation on a “scheduling conflict”.
Got a story? We pay for great showbiz scoops.
Email me at: [email protected]
Or call my team on 0207 782 4152.
- Rita Ora looks downcast as she returns home after performing tearful tribute to late friend Avicii at a mental health awareness concert in Stockholm
- Rita Ora is the leading lady in blue at the VMAs
- Adam Lambert, David Guetta, Rita Ora to Perform at Avicii Tribute Concert
- Rita Ora pays emotional tribute to late friend Avicii at a concert to raise mental health awareness in Stockholm
- Rita Ora makes a statement in feathered frock while Nicole Scherzinger and Ciara sizzle in racy LBDs at Clive Davis' Pre-Grammy Gala
- The Masked Singer UK FIRST LOOK: Glam Davina McCall and Rita Ora try to identify the 12 mystery celebrities in explosive new trailer
- British Fashion Awards 2019: Rita Ora arrives to the glitzy ceremony in a black and white swirled gown and dramatic blue make-up
- Rita Ora and Rafferty Law hold hands as they leave glittering British Fashion Awards
- Rita Ora dating Jude Law’s son Rafferty after things heated up between them on set of Oliver! remake Twist
- Rita Ora slips out of her skintight PVC dress and into a white power suit as she heads to Giorgio Armani's British Fashion Awards afterparty