By Rina Saeed Khan Published: August 24, 2018 0 SHARES Share Tweet Email President Mamnoon Hussain administers the oath of office to newly elected Prime Minister Imran Khan at the Presidential Palace in Islamabad. PHOTO: APP Twenty-two years ago, did I think this day would ever arrive? That in little more than 10 minutes, a visibly uncomfortable Imran Khan would fumble over difficult Urdu words and take the oath to become Pakistan’s 22nd prime minister? I wish I could say a resounding yes, but I, like so many of his supporters, have seen Imran rise and fall over the years (only to rise again) with exasperation. ‘Surely he will deliver once he reaches his goal’ is how we have comforted ourselves through the many stumbles, U-turns and compromises. Along the way, we have been called cult followers, youthias, boot lickers, extremist lovers – and these are the more polite descriptions. Nonetheless, it remains hard to believe that what seemed impossible has become possible. “In all my decades of working at the Parliament House, I have never seen a sight like this one,” said the elevator operator, an elderly man inside the building, as we took the lift up to the visitor’s… Read full this story
- The Kings and Prime Ministers of UK
- As it happened: Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern gives birth to a girl
- China fears political instability in Pakistan could hurt CPEC
- Jacinda Ardern, New Zealand’s Prime Minister, Is Expected to Have Her Baby Soon
- New Zealand Prime Minister Ardern names newborn daughter Neve Te Aroha
- Ministers condemned for spending £65,000 on 'indefensible' civil partnerships court battle
- Labour considers actions to protect antisemitism probe from 'political forces'
- UK could produce Brexit commemorative coins, hints treasury minister
- Pakistan's former FM Asif allowed to contest election
- Pakistan Elections !
From a “political nobody who would never amount to much” to the prime minister of Pakistan have 285 words, post on blogs.tribune.com.pk at August 24, 2018. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.