Daniel R. DePetris 11 August 2018 9:00 AM 11 August 2018 9:00 AM Share Twitter Facebook LinkedIn Email Whatsapp There was a time not too long ago – less than three years to be exact – when German Chancellor Angela Merkel was at the very top of her game. She dominated German and European politics for over a decade with her clear, effective, but cautious leadership, watching as the German economy solidified its place as Europe’s economic engine. When Merkel decided to open Germany’s doors in August 2015 to hundreds of thousands of refugees fleeing war and persecution in Syria, she became much more than the steward of Berlin’s economic power – she transformed overnight into the moral beacon of the European continent. There she was, taking the daring political risk of allowing an unrestricted number of Syrians to cross the German border in order to claim asylum, when others – like Hungary’s Viktor Orban – were concentrating their resources on a slapdash attempt to build walls and fences. As the Guardian newspaper would write in a September 2015 editorial, ‘The German chancellor has taken the lead on an issue that has, for too long, produced nothing but squabbling among… Read full this story
- EU leaders seek migration deal in Brussels
- World prefers Angela Merkel to Donald Trump: Pew study
- Globalists Salute: Angela Merkel, EU President Hail Future ‘Cooperation’ With Joe Biden
- Brexit: Angela Merkel urges both sides to keep negotiating
- US election: Germany's Angela Merkel congratulates Biden on win
- UK claims growing support over migration in clash with Brussels
- Merkel Tells EU to Be Realistic, ADMITS UK Needs Good Deal From Brussels
- Merkel meets Ukraine's Poroshenko, but not his election rival
- Germany says no-deal Brexit would be 'irresponsible'
- Leaders in Crisis Talks Over EU-Turkey Deal as Divisions Deepen
Angela Merkel sacrifices her principles to make a migration deal have 281 words, post on blogs.spectator.co.uk at August 11, 2018. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.