For Paul Maguire, it was an honor he never quite felt worthy of receiving in the first place. A club seating area at New Era Field bearing his name? That was beyond flattering. However, as far as Maguire was concerned, there were far more deserving contributors to the rich history of the Buffalo Bills. After all, Maguire’s career as a punter/linebacker was over before the Bills’ Orchard Park home was even built. And for all that he accomplished during seven seasons with the Bills – being a part of back-to-back American Football League championships in 1964 and ’65 and adding to the numbers that allowed him to rank as the AFL’s all-time leader in punts and punt yards – he never allowed himself to get overly attached to the tributes the team bestowed upon him, Hall of Fame quarterback Jim Kelly and broadcaster Van Miller in 1999 by putting their names on the club areas. When Maguire received a call several months ago informing him of the plan to remove the names and replace them with those of companies paying for that right, he said he expressed no disappointment. “Are you kidding me? It was an honor,” Maguire says. “When… Read full this story
- Leading heart surgeon and professor, 69, who 'made a difference to many, many lives' and pioneered research into life-saving stents dies after contracting coronavirus
- Gary Lineker blasts Matt Hancock demand for Premier League footballers to rush into coronavirus pay cuts as Gary Neville says Health Secretary has 'a f***ing cheek'
- Meet Marcus Rashford: his girlfriend, net worth, family life and more
- 'It was an amazing experience': Singer from chart-topping NHS choir who sang during the Queen's Christmas broadcast says 'it was like a child being given all the nicest things in the world'
- Au revoir and thanks for the memories
- PDC World Darts Championship, 2020-21: Paul Lim takes on Dimitri Van den Bergh for a place in the last 32
- As COVID patients die without loved ones at their side, aching internet goodbyes tear at providers
- Coronavirus pastoral care: Between Christmas spirit and end-of-life care
- A filter made for astronaut urine could soon be providing drinking water on Earth
- Chargers vs Raiders live stream: how to watch NFL Thursday Night Football anywhere
Paul Maguire's full life in football and broadcasting provides wealth of memories have 365 words, post on buffalonews.com at July 7, 2018. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.