Hanoi (VNA) – The Government has agreed with the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism (MCST)’s proposal to organise the 31st Southeast Asian Games (SEA Games 31) and the 11th ASEAN Para Games (Para Games 11) in Vietnam in 2021.
At a meeting in the capital on July 9, the Cabinet assigned Hanoi as the site city, which successfully hosted SEA Games 22 in 2003, the Asian Indoor Games in 2009, and several other big international sports events.
The ministry’s proposal was made after the SEA Games Federation (SEAGF) informed Vietnam that it would hand over the right to host SEA Games 31 to the country.
The federation said Cambodia, scheduled to host SEA Games 31, proposed postponing the hosting until the next Games in 2023 as it is not ready for the task.
Concluding the meeting, Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc lauded the substantial determination of the culture, sports and tourism sector, as well as of Hanoi and the relevant ministries and agencies.
Hosting the events is both the responsibility and honour of Vietnam as a constructive member of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), he said, adding that this is also a chance to promote the Vietnamese land and people.
The leader asked Hanoi to continue to complete infrastructure, set forth a detailed plan on the organisation of the events, and mobilise the participation of different economic sectors in these efforts.
The sports sector should make preparations to reach the highest results at the tournament, he said.
According to the MCST, SEA Games 31 is scheduled to last for about 17 days and Para Games 11, around 11 days, from October to December 2021. About 11,000 athletes and coaches are expected to participate in SEA Games 31, with some 2,100 to join Para Games 11. -VNA
- Runner Hung eyeing SEA Games medal with launch of duathlon event
- Women footballers set for play friendly ties ahead of SEA Games 30
- Swimmer Vien invested strongly for SEA Games 30
- Vietnamese chess masters expected to dominate SEA Games
- ‘It's my game to lose’: New passport for the e-sports gamer going the extra mile in quest for SEA Games gold
- Track-and-field events removed from 30th SEA Games
- Hùng eyeing SEA Games medal with launch of duathlon event
- Hanoi, HCMC host IELTS fairs this week
- Philippines names head coach for SEA Games men's basketball event
- Indonesia eyes three titles in archery during 2019 SEA Games