Every couple of years, the strange disappearance or death of a white toddler — JonBenét Ramsey, for instance, or Madeleine McCann — seems to overtake the news cycle. A panic ensues, and even with little evidence to parse, the public must find someone to blame to assuage their anxieties . As the seemingly endless retellings of the Ramsey case makes clear, these stories get a longer shelf life once the cast of characters widens, and they can be framed as mysteries about seemingly suspicious parents, and — even more specifically — about murderous bad mothers . This particular narrative twist is more easily sold — on cable news, social media, and at trials — when the suspected killer doesn't fit the conventional mold of innocent, white suburban motherhood. Perhaps she's too secretive, too talkative, not properly mournful in public, and so outrage soon follows. Perhaps — like Patsy Ramsey, who lived under an "umbrella of suspicion" until her own death — she's too flashy, too image-conscious, an overbearing stage mom possibly capable of staging a ransom note and committing murder over her daughter's bed-wetting . This is, of course, the kind of "bad mom" story built around two other protagonists… Read full this story
- Met Police closes investigation into racist murder of Stephen Lawrence after 27 years: Scotland Yard chief Cressida Dick moves case to 'inactive phase'
- The murders most foul: He was jailed for the callous slaughter of three people... but did the Beast of Belgravia actually butcher ELEVEN victims?
- Detective Recalls Gut-Wrenching Moment Doomsday Mom’s Kids Were Found
- Emma Donoghue: 'To say Room is based on the Josef Fritzl case is too strong'
- It's HOW not WHEN! Nicola Sturgeon says Scottish independence WILL happen because 'hard right' Tories forced Brexit on Scotland
- Misogyny Is Boring As Hell
- Who Won the Battle of Portland?
- Stephen Lawrence's brother says 'now is the time to speak up' as he urges 'brave' witnesses to come forward with information so his family get 'closure' - as MP slams Met's 'crass' decision to shelve probe into racist killing
Why Are We Obsessed With Mothers Accused Of Murder? have 341 words, post on www.buzzfeednews.com at June 27, 2018. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.