News / UK and world by Press Association June 3, 2018, 7:53 pm FacebookTwitterLinkedInWhatsAppEmail Sign up to our Daily newsletter A lawyer for Donald Trump has stressed the president’s legal team would contest any effort to force him to testify before a grand jury during the special counsel’s Russia probe. But Rudy Giuliani downplayed the idea that Mr Trump could pardon himself. In a series of television interviews, Mr Giuliani emphasised one of the main arguments in a newly unveiled letter sent by Mr Trump’s lawyers to special counsel Robert Mueller back in January – that a president cannot be given a grand jury subpoena as part of the investigation into foreign meddling in the 2016 election. But he distanced himself from one of their bolder arguments in the letter – that a president could not have committed obstruction of justice because he has authority to “if he wished, terminate the inquiry, or even exercise his power to pardon”. “Pardoning himself would be unthinkable and probably lead to immediate impeachment,” Mr Giuliani told NBC’s Meet the Press. “And he has no need to do it, he’s done nothing wrong.” The former New York City mayor, who was not on the… Read full this story
- Donald Trump says pardoning Roger Stone has NEVER occurred to him but paints political dirty trickster awaiting sentencing as 'nice guy' who 'was not involved in my campaign'
- Trump May Think Mueller Probe Is 'Witch Hunt,' but Voters Don't Agree, Poll Shows
- Donald Trump names the 'whistleblower' again but then DELETES the retweet containing anonymous CIA official's identity just days after sharing article that outed him
- Donald Trump's divisive lawyer was once known as 'America's mayor'. What happened to Rudy Giuliani?
- Donald Trump impeachment reaches stalemate as Democrats make a strategic move
- Donald Trump uses State of the Union to reveal dates for second meeting with Kim Jong-un
- Donald Trump calls Nancy Pelosi 'crazy' and claims she 'hates the people who voted for me' as he rails against her holding on to the articles of impeachment
- Franklin Graham launches fresh attack on Christianity Today for its call to remove Donald Trump saying his father Billy voted for the president and praised him before his death
- Vladimir Putin thanks Donald Trump for tip that foiled terror plot
- Donald Trump says 'great' coordination with Russia helped thwart attack
Donald Trump ‘won’t pardon himself in Russia probe’ have 381 words, post on www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk at June 2, 2018. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.