By Patricia Jordan Cyprus can be such a dusty place, causing breathing problems for some people, especially the elderly and young children. Hot air from North Africa pushes into our area, bringing with it vast amounts of Saharan dust, which falls and settles everywhere. This happens regularly and can occur at any time of the year, obscuring the light and leaving a trail of dust over everything. Even washing hanging on the line can cause distress to some, because dust or pollen can cling to the items. As the year progresses, many trees add their pollen to the atmosphere causing even more angst to the population. Generally, it is the male trees whose pollen is the problem. Casuarinas, for instance, which line my street, have huge pollen tassels twice a year, and each tassel may contain up to five million grains of pollen! This can spread with or without a breeze, around an area of between 300 and 700 metres, covering everything in yellow dust. Pecan trees have tassels too, but have female parts on the same tree, which trap some of the pollen before it travels too far. Olive tree pollen is known to affect many people, causing great… Read full this story
- How to store gardening tools during the winter: Key tips to avoid rust and corrosion
- Gardening expert secret to keep orchids alive and to avoid 'killing them with kindness'
- Monty Don: Gardening expert shares the 'easiest cabbages' to grow
- The most satisfying gardening jobs - from planting seeds to scarifying the lawn
- Millbrae Herb Garden 101 Class On May 11
- Seven ways to use your Christmas tree in the garden once the season ends
- How to use leftover pumpkins - FOUR surprising ways to use pumpkins in the garden
- ‘I lost five stone eating pizza and wedges’: Woman enjoys favourite foods 'guilt-free'
- Why isn't Monty Don on the Gardeners' World winter special?
- Mum transforms garden shed into incredible gin bar with fairy lights & giant cans
A garden that you can enjoy have 319 words, post on cyprus-mail.com at June 2, 2018. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.