John Rowe Staff Writer Published 11:00 p.m. UTC Jun 7, 2018 Giants executive Chris Mara is not the first, and won’t be the last, sports figure to dabble in thoroughbred racing. Mara is a minority owner of Justify, which is a Belmont Stakes victory away from a Triple Crown. Through the years, owners, coaches and players throughout the sports world have tried their luck in horse racing. Here are some who have succeed and failed — and somewhere in between: Bill Parcells The Super Bowl winning coach has spent much of his post-coaching days following horse racing, his second love. He had as many as 20 horses when he owned August Dawn Farm. His best horses were Saratoga Snacks, The Big Deluxe and Bavaro, named for the Giants’ tight end who helped Parcells win two Super Bowls. Parcells’ interest in racing grew from his father taking him to Monmouth Park when he was growing up in Bergen County. Parcells, who lives in Saratoga, N.Y, was a partner in several horses with sports talk radio host Mike Francesa, before their relationship waned. Bobby Hurley Jr. In between his injured shortened NBA career and his current college coaching career, the former Duke star from Jersey… Read full this story
- Meet Australian jockey Zac Purton and the Aussies racing to riches in Hong Kong
- Racing! What a day for Mike Smith (and Omaha Beach)
- Racing! Happy New Year!
- Racing! Santa Anita is back racing
- Racing! Eclipse Awards are around the corner
- McLachlan Stakes: King’s Legacy adds to Snowden camp’s arsenal for Magic Millions Classic
- No Criminal Wrongdoing In Horse Deaths: Report
- Another Horse Dies At Santa Anita Ahead Of Opening Day
- Santa Anita Race Horse Death Toll Rises To 38
- War of Will wins the Preakness Stakes in Triple Crown redemption against field that included horse that ran riderless after bucking jockey at the gate
2018 Belmont Stakes: Justify is latest example of sports and horse racing connections have 305 words, post on eu.northjersey.com at June 7, 2018. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.