WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump announced Tuesday the U.S. will pull out of the landmark nuclear accord with Iran, dealing a profound blow to U.S. allies and potentially deepening the president’s isolation on the world stage. “The United States does not make empty threats,” he said in a televised address. Trump’s decision means Iran’s government must now decide whether to follow the U.S. and withdraw or try to salvage what’s left of the deal. Iran has offered conflicting statements about what it may do — and the answer may depend on exactly how Trump exits the agreement. Trump said he would move to re-impose all sanctions on Iran that had been lifted under the 2015 deal, not just the ones facing an immediate deadline. This had become known informally as the “nuclear option” because of the near-certainty that such a move would scuttle the deal. Supporters of fixing the agreement had hoped Trump would choose a piecemeal approach that could leave more room for him to reverse himself and stay in the deal if he could secure the additional restrictions that European nations tried unsuccessfully to negotiate with him. Still, the administration planned to allow a grace period of… Read full this story
- EU 'Highly Concerned' About Iran Nuclear Enrichment
- Iran Denies Role in US Embassy in Iraq Attack, Says Trump Acting Out of 'Fear'
- Defense officials reveal US aircraft carrier was pulled out of Middle East to 'de-escalate' tension after Iran put military on high alert - as Trump is told he will 'witness severe revenge' by Tehran on anniversary of Soleimani killing
- EXPLAINER: Biden's Iran problem is getting worse by the day
- Joe Biden’s Iran problem is getting worse by the day. Here’s why
- How the latest moves by Tehran and Trump will complicate Biden's Iran policy
- Iran enriches uranium to weapons-grade purity in breach of 2015 nuclear deal as fears mount over South Korean oil tanker 'impounded' at Iranian port on first anniversary of General Soleimani's death
- Haley: Trump was 'badly wrong' in stoking crowd before riot
- Presidency in Review: Which Campaign Promises Did Trump Uphold?
- From first to third world: The USA that Trump would bequeath to Biden
Trump says he's withdrawing US from Iran nuclear accord have 360 words, post on www.twincities.com at May 8, 2018. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.