WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump announced Tuesday the U.S. will pull out of the landmark nuclear accord with Iran, dealing a profound blow to U.S. allies and potentially deepening the president’s isolation on the world stage. “The United States does not make empty threats,” he said in a televised address. Trump’s decision means Iran’s government must now decide whether to follow the U.S. and withdraw or try to salvage what’s left of the deal. Iran has offered conflicting statements about what it may do — and the answer may depend on exactly how Trump exits the agreement. Trump said he would move to re-impose all sanctions on Iran that had been lifted under the 2015 deal, not just the ones facing an immediate deadline. This had become known informally as the “nuclear option” because of the near-certainty that such a move would scuttle the deal. Supporters of fixing the agreement had hoped Trump would choose a piecemeal approach that could leave more room for him to reverse himself and stay in the deal if he could secure the additional restrictions that European nations tried unsuccessfully to negotiate with him. Still, the administration planned to allow a grace period of at… Read full this story
- Norwegian lawmaker nominates Trump for the 2021 Nobel Peace Prize and says he 'deserves it more than Obama' for brokering diplomatic ties between Israel and United Arab Emirates
- Biden Says Iran Closer to Nuclear Weapons Under Trump, Would Re-Enter Deal
- If Elected, Biden's First Task Is Calling World Leaders to Say 'America's Back, You Can Count on Us'
- Iran partners with China, as the West steps back
- Noam Chomsky on General Soleimani’s Killing: 'It's as if Iran Decided to Murder Mike Pompeo'
- Trump administration pushes for last-minute foreign policy wins in final campaign sprint
- How Trump and Biden contrast on foreign policy
- Pentagon Says Iran's New Syria Defense Deal Won't Stop Efforts to Fight ISIS
- US Election 2020: Expect a lot more of the same if Donald Trump wins a second term
- From North Korea to Middle East: Donald Trump's diplomacy evaluated
Trump says he's withdrawing U.S. from Iran nuclear accord have 340 words, post on www.dailyherald.com at May 7, 2018. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.