Although most Republican congressmen do not think Rep. Jim Jordan can win enough votes to become next House speaker, his stock would rise if the GOP loses its majority in midterm elections and look for a combative foil to majority Democrat rule, The Hill reported on Wednesday. Jordan’s chances of becoming speaker to replace the retiring Paul Ryan are slim, because there are too many rank-and-file Republicans who hold a grudge against the former Freedom Caucus chairman for forcing out then-Speaker John Boehner, a fellow Ohio Republican, in 2015 and then tormenting Ryan. But while the speaker position needs a majority of the entire House, the minority leader post only requires a simple majority of the Republican conference. If the GOP does lose its majority in the midterms, the Freedom Caucus would likely hold a higher percentage of the power within the party, as Democrats would most probably defeat moderate Republicans. “That might be the perfect job for Jim Jordan because of his fighting attitude and his fighting spirit; he doesn’t back down,” one RSC member told The Hill. “I think he would be a tremendous minority leader.” A senior GOP aide added, “You want a militant attack dog [like… Read full this story
- House Republicans Propose to Repeal $7,500 EV Tax Credit
- AP sources: House Speaker Ryan won't run for re-election.
- The Latest: White House hopefuls want full report released
- How Michael Jordan, Kurt Rambis and a single Hornets game ‘changed Charlotte forever’
- The Masters 2019: When does the Augusta major start, what TV channel is it on and who is favourite to win?
- GOP's regulatory fight goes to another level over car loans
- North Carolina GOP fails to override ‘born alive’ bill veto
- Trump puts Senate GOP in no-win situation
- GOP leader McConnell to say 'case closed' on Mueller probe
- Republicans want census data on citizenship for redistricting
Jim Jordan Could Become Top House Republican — If GOP Loses Majority have 303 words, post on www.newsmax.com at May 16, 2018. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.