The coach of an American football team has told of the terrifying moment he had to give CPR to one of his collapsed players.
At approximately 1pm paramedics and an air ambulance were called to Coldham’s Common, after a member of the Cambridgeshire Cats suffered a suspected heart attack.
The player, a man in his 30s, had been struggling with the heat during a practice session, and had sat out to recover when he suddenly collapsed.
Club coach Marco Fasulo told the News how he and his fellow club members rushed into action when the man collapsed.
“I am not 100 per cent sure what the prognosis is, we were just training and he collapsed”, he said.
“He had complained about being a bit hot so he sat down, and whether heart attack or heat stroke I am not 100 per cent sure.”
Eyewitnesses have described how the man’s heart stopped as he lay on the common , as his teammates fought to revive him.
Marco said: “It was towards the end of practice, and it had obviously been a hot day.
“We were keeping him hydrated as he was feeling a bit weak. He sat down, said he was alright, then then suddenly the manager is shouting to say he has just collapsed.
“A couple of guys on the team, myself included, are first-aid trained, and they took control of the situation and started giving him CPR.”
As paramedics arrived and took over it is believed they managed to get his heart going again, although his current condition remains unknown.
Marco said: “A few ambulances were there, and the Magpas air ambulance.
“They were fantastic, they said there’s nothing more we could have done, and they were there very, very quickly.
“I believe they gave him oxygen, and they took him to Addenbrooke’s.
“We spoke to his wife and the police were going to pick her up and take her to hospital to see him.
“It’s a real shock for all of us, and our thoughts are all with his family.”
The Cambridgeshire Cats , are one of the UK’s oldest American football teams, and were formed in 1984 as the Cambridge County Cats.
They play regularly on Coldham’s Common, by the Abbey Leisure Centre.
- Kentucky high school football coach acquitted in rare player death case
- Title-Winning High School Football Coach Freaks Out On Players After Ice Bath
- Jim Leavitt fired: University of South Florida football coach canned for abusing player
- Jacqui Oatley blasts her daughter's 'ridiculous' football coach
- Recruiting stunt by USC football coach Lane Kiffin involving David Sills raises bigger NCAA concern
- High school football coach in Florida faces suspension for helping student-athlete who had 'no place to go,' he says
- Meet the college football coaches in the Amway Coaches Poll
- Notre Dame football coach Brian Kelly bringing Irish to New Meadowlands, Yankee Stadium this fall
- Jim Tressel should have been removed as Ohio State football coach much earlier than his resignation
- Kentucky high school football coach charged in player's death