BIXBY — The last time her son came home was Mother’s Day, 2011. The last time she saw her son alive was the day he graduated from the University of Oklahoma, May 14, 2011. The last time she saw her son at all was the day he died, May 19, 2011.So we will forgive Gail Box, the mother of late OU linebacker Austin Box, when she says “this time of year is just awful for me.”“Saturday will mark the seven-year anniversary,” she says. “It never gets any easier. It just gets more manageable.”That is why we will applaud Mrs. Box for standing on an auditorium stage Wednesday night, watching a video of her son laughing, dancing and celebrating as a college kid and college football player, turning to the Bixby High School football team seated before her and saying:“It starts with people like you, young people. You’re going to make the difference in this opioid epidemic. Hopefully what you learn tonight you will share with others. The more information we can share about the danger of opioids, the more people we can save.“I wish that before May 19, 2011, I could have been armed with the information that you now have…. Read full this story
- Deadline’s Disruptors To Remember In A Year To Forget
- The 32 Greatest Disaster Movies of All Time
- Pop Culture History From the Year You Were Born
- The 40 best true crime series to watch on Netflix right now
- Kim Kardashian ditches her $1.3m engagement ring and 'hires celebrity lawyer Laura Wasser to end her six-year marriage to Kanye West after months of living separate lives'
- 'Divorce is imminent': Kim Kardashian and Kanye West's 'marriage is OVER' after six years and four children - amid claims she has 'had enough' and they 'are in settlement talks' with high-powered lawyers
- Kanye West's presidential run, Kim Kardashian's Meek Mill meet, the abortion bombshell, the divorce 'attempt' and THAT tearful summit... what caused the demise of Hollywood's biggest power couple?
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West are 'BOTH fighting to keep $60m dream mansion in Calabasas' as the Hollywood couple prepare for $2.2bn 'divorce'
Guerin Emig: Gail Box inspires as opioid crisis that gripped her son rages have 346 words, post on www.tulsaworld.com at May 17, 2018. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.