THE Cannes Film Festival is one of the most prestigious film events in the world.
Every year the biggest movie stars flock to the French Riviera to see the latest movies. Here we give you the breakdown of the top gongs and what cash, if any, the winners get.
What is the Palme d’Or?
The Palme d’Or (The Golden Palm) is considered to be the most illustrious prize at Cannes – its the Oscar equivalent of Best Motion Picture.
It was introduced to the festival in 1955 and there are 17 films are nominated this year.
To date there’s only been one female winner – Jane Campion, who directed The Piano in 1993.
Nominees this year for the top gong include Spike Lee for BlacKkKlansman and Jean Luc Godard for The Image Book.
Last year the Palme d’Or was awarded to The Square, a Swedish film directed by Ruben Östlund. The film also served as the closing night film of the festival.
What is the Grand Prix?
The Grand Prix – or Grand Prize – is awarded by the Cannes jury on one of the competing feature films.
It is considered to be the second most prestigious awards after the Palme d’Or.
The 2017 winner was BPM – a French speaking film.
Check out all previous winner of the Palme d’Or and Grand Prix here.
Do the winners get any cash?
The reward for winning the Palme d’Or the Grand Prix is exposure and prestige – but during La Semaine de la Critique (Critics Week) there are some money rewards to be had for smaller films.
The Nespresso Grand Prize is awarded to emerging talent and budding directors can scoop £13,200 this year for winning.
The Leica Cine Discovery Prize for Short Film awards £3,500 and the Louis Roederer Foundation Rising Star award gives £4,400 to the best actor or actress in their first film.
There is also an award given to a first time filmmaker to help distribute their movie in France. The Gan Foundation Award for Distribution gives £17,600 in return for a marketing strategy.
Cannes Film Festival prides itself on nurturing new and emerging talent.
Cannes Film Festival 2018
Cannes film festival sets up phone service to stop offenders
CULTURE OF FEAR
Weinstein’s ex-driver didn’t intervene because of ‘fear he’d lose job’
GOT IT COVERED
Where to buy a burkini in Britain… and where the head-to-foot swimsuit can get you in trouble on holiday
NIC’S THIGHLY RATED
Nicole Kidman, 49, hailed Queen of Cannes for starring in four movies at the film festival
HITTING YACHT BOTTOM
Kourtney Kardashian shows off bum in thong bikini alongside sister Kendall and toyboy Younes
Pamela Anderson shows off her famous cleavage in a plunging dress at glamorous boat party in Cannes
The full list of Cannes Film Festival prizes
- Palme d’Or – Golden Palm
- Grand Prix – Grand Prize of the Festival
- Prix du Jury – Jury Prize
- Palme d’Or du court métrage – Best Short Film
- Prix d’interprétation féminine – Best Actress
- Prix d’interprétation masculine – Best Actor
- Prix de la mise en scène – Best Director
- Prix du scénario – Best Screenplay
- Prix Un Certain Regard – Young talent, innovative and audacious works
- Cinéfondation prizes – Student films
- Caméra d’Or – Best first feature film
- Prix de la FIPRESCI – International Federation of Film Critics Prize
- Prix Vulcain – Awarded to a technical artist by the CST
- Prize of the Ecumenical Jury
- François Chalais Prize
- L’Œil d’or – Best documentary film
- Trophée Chopard
- Palm Dog, for best canine performance.
- Queer Palm, for best LGBT-related film
- ‘Beanpole,’ ‘Talking About Trees’ Among Palm Springs Film Festival Winners
- China to build $1bn Gallic-themed 'film city' and Cannes-style festival
- Jafar Panahi defies ban to appear at film festival via Skype
- Isabelle Huppert, 66, shows off her age-defying beauty as she arrives in Venice for the Film Festival in a chic camel blazer and jeans
- Sundance Film Festival aims for more movie critic diversity
- Oscars 2016: a look at early frontrunners after the Toronto film festival
- Venice film festival 2018: all star lineup, despite lack of female film-makers
- Toronto film festival 2019: cinema’s lesser lights give the stars a run for their money
- What to see at the Tribeca film festival, from Tom Hanks to Taxi Driver
- Iran berates Berlin film festival over Panahi award