The Donald Trump-backing Sinclair Broadcast Group’s pending $3.9 billion acquisition of Tribune Media, creating a local television station cartel of unprecedented power and reach, has triggered a mind-meld of liberals and conservatives that would otherwise have been unthinkable in the present era of polarized politics. The result is a possibly heartening (and, let’s face it, bizarre) alliance between the usual suspects—that is, left-leaning public interest groups and elected Democrats who’d be expected to oppose any such merger—and right-leaning media outlets such as Christopher Ruddy’s Newsmax, the San Diego-based Herring family’s One America News, Glenn Beck’s The Blaze, and even the hard-right former House Republican Majority Leader, Tom “The Hammer” DeLay. “Don’t get me wrong: I appreciate the conservative perspective of Sinclair, and support its First Amendment right to espouse its views,” DeLay wrote in a recent Politico op-ed titled “Why Trump Should Block the Sinclair Merger.” This would be a highly unlikely outcome given the president’s recent tweet: “So funny to watch Fake News Networks, among the most dishonest groups of people I have ever dealt with, criticize Sinclair Broadcasting for being biased. Sinclair is far superior to CNN and even more Fake NBC, which is a total joke.” Still, DeLay added, “This… Read full this story
- Fox & Friends Asks Why People Link Trump’s Language with Mosque Shooter. Here’s Why.
- Nexstar, Tribune TV deal poses test for Trump regulators
- T-Mobile executives were Trump hotel customers while seeking deal approval
- 6 Things We Know (and Don’t Know) About the Disney-Fox Merger
- Trump says Dems 'have gone stone cold CRAZY' with new corruption probe
- The Business of Too Much TV
- Trump applauded for walking away from 'bad' North Korea deal
- Mike Pompeo’s Mission: Translate Trump to a Wary World
- Mike Pompeo’s Mission: Clean Up Trump’s Messes
- “Anything Is Possible”: Bill Weld Launches a Kamikaze Mission to Stop Trump
Sinclair / Tribune Merger Has Left and Right United to Fight Terrifying Pro-Trump TV Cartel have 315 words, post on www.thedailybeast.com at April 13, 2018. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.