LOS ANGELES — R. Lee Ermey, a former marine who made a career in Hollywood playing hard-nosed military men like Gunnery Sgt. Hartman in Stanley Kubrick’s “Full Metal Jacket,” has died.
Ermey’s longtime manager Bill Rogin says he died Sunday morning from pneumonia-related complications. He was 74.
The Kanas native was nominated for a Golden Globe Award for his memorable performance in “Full Metal Jacket,” immortalizing lines like “What is your major malfunction?” He also voiced the little green army man Sarge in the “Toy Story” films and played a helicopter pilot in “Apocalypse Now,” among many other roles.
Rogin says that while his characters were often hard and principled, the real Ermey was a family man and a kind and gentle soul who supported the men and women who serve.
- Heidi Klum rocks metal-studded black leather jacket while arriving at America's Got Talent: The Champions
- NCIS season 17: Who is Fred Dryer? Who plays Marine Master Sergeant Thomas Fletcher?
- Texas prison sergeant is found not guilty of aggravated assault despite a video showing him slamming an inmate, 41, into a concrete floor so viciously that the man died
- Lauren Cohan announces Walking Dead return at New York Comic Con
- Is this THE jacket of autumn? River Island's £50 denim bomber with puffed sleeves is back in stock after selling out TWICE - but you'll have to act fast to grab one
- Below Deck star Lee Rosbach talks his son Josh's death from accidental opioid overdose: 'There's a hole there that can't be filled'
- 'At least ten dead' as convoy including foreign journalists and aid workers is shelled 'by Turkish forces' in northern Syria border town
- White cop who shot dead 28-year-old black woman in her own home DID NOT identify himself as police as family brands her death 'MURDER'
- White cop who shot dead 28-year-old black woman in her own home during a wellness check RESIGNS as victim's family blasts Fort Worth police and calls for an independent probe
- Two dead after German synagogue attacked on holy day