Democracy Dies in Darkness Sections Home Try 1 month for $1 Username Sign In Account Profile Newsletters & Alerts Gift Subscriptions Contact Us Help Desk Subscribe Account Profile Newsletters & Alerts Gift Subscriptions Contact Us Help Desk Accessibility for screenreader National Security Secretary of State Mike Pompeo during a news conference in Amman, Jordan, on April 30, 2018. (Stringer/AFP/Getty Images) by Carol Morello by Carol Morello Email the author April 30 at 6:41 AM Email the author AMMAN, Jordan — Secretary of State Mike Pompeo sidestepped any criticism Monday of Israeli actions against Palestinians along the Gaza Strip border, saying only that “Israelis have the right to defend themselves.” Pompeo made his remarks in a reply to one of the three questions from journalists allowed during an appearance with Jordanian Foreign Minister Ayman Safadi. It was Pompeo’s first news conference in which he took questions since Friday at NATO headquarters in Brussels, where he answered four questions. Pompeo spoke with no Palestinians during talks Sunday in Israel, where he met with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, or Monday in Jordan. The Palestinian leadership has not engaged in political talks with U.S. officials since President Trump in December unilaterally recognized Jerusalem as… Read full this story
- US to Designate Yemen’s Houthis a Terrorist Organization, Pompeo Says
- US to Designate Yemen's Houthis a Terror Group, Pompeo Says
- Pompeo says China's policies on Muslims amount to 'genocide'
- Video: Rocket Fired From Gaza Toward Israel, IDF Says
- US ambassador to Israel Twitter account briefly includes West Bank, Gaza
- Pompeo is first top U.S. diplomat to visit an Israeli settlement
- As Gaza is Busy With COVID-19, Breast Cancer Patient Feels Neglected and Fears She Won't Last Long
- US-Israeli Intelligence Reportedly Closely Coordinated ‘Massive Air Strikes’ on Syria
- Mike Pompeo to designate Yemen’s Houthi rebels as terrorist group
- Biased Israeli Media? Expert Says Objectivity is Impossible, Here's Why
Pompeo says Israelis have ‘right to defend’ Gaza border have 300 words, post on www.washingtonpost.com at April 30, 2018. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.