At 94 years old, Esther Adler stepped out from behind a podium that was almost as tall as she was to speak at Brown-RISD Hillel Sunday night. The first thing she said to an almost entirely filled room was that she doesn’t really like to refer to herself as a survivor of the Holocaust. “Until some years ago, I never called myself a survivor because I felt that the people who suffered in ghettos and went through camps, they are the survivors,” Adler said. She was fifteen when she escaped Germany and traveled with a Jewish youth group to Jerusalem. Though she made it out of Germany alive, Adler said many of her family members and friends did not. Adler was invited to speak at Hillel for Yom Hashoah, or Holocaust Memorial Day, on April 11. Adler said she doesn’t use the word Holocaust to describe what happened at the hands of the Nazi party to people of the Jewish faith. “The word Holocaust comes from Greek and its means a burnt offering. And I thought that … this is not a good description for what the Holocaust, the Shoah represents,” Adler said, “The word shoah, the Hebrew word means… Read full this story
- The artistic value of Holocaust survivors' works
- U.S. Supreme Court takes up Germany's appeal in Nazi art dispute
- Kansas GOP official apologizes for cartoon comparing mask mandate to the Holocaust
- Racism in Germany 'an issue for society as a whole'
- Europe's top rights court rejects Nazi swastika blog post case
- Angels of the Resistance (and a Serial Killer) in Nazi-Occupied Paris
- Through the Darkest of Times review – join the anti-Nazi resistance
- Germany's elite KSK commando unit is 'partially dissolved' due to far-right extremism among its ranks
- Racism in Germany: A Chinese-American reckoning
- Full horrors of Nazi concentration camp for CHILDREN laid bare with photos and chilling testimonies of child inmates
Holocaust survivor discusses life story in Nazi Germany have 305 words, post on www.browndailyherald.com at April 22, 2018. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.