A Greek air force fighter pilot has died after their jet crashed in the eastern Aegean Sea amid rising tensions and near-daily mock dogfights in airspace disputed with Turkey, Greek defence ministry officials have said. Greek navy ships and army helicopters were dispatched to search for the missing pilot, whose death was later announced by the country’s defence minister. “A Greek pilot joins the pantheon of heroes. He fell in the defence of our national sovereignty and territorial integrity,” Panos Kammenos said in a tweet. Officials from the Greek defence ministry told the state broadcaster that a Mirage 2000-5 jet crashed north of the island of Skyros. They did not mention a possible cause, but patrols have intensified in recent weeks along the disputed boundary over the Greek islands, with both Turkey and Greece flying sorties in the area. World news in pictures 50 show all World news in pictures 1/50 The wreckage of the Scientific Studies and Research Centre compound in the Barzeh district, north of Damascus, after the United States, UK and France launched strikes against Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s regime early on April 14 in response to an alleged chemical weapons attack after mulling military action for nearly a week…. Read full this story
- Indians and Pakistanis are Tweeting #SayNoToWar Amid Raging Tensions Post IAF Strike in Balakot
- China is sending its most advanced fighter jet to patrol disputed seas
- Live Updates | Official: 5 civilians die in Kharkiv attack
- Russia-Ukraine War Day 12: Civilian deaths toll rises, oil prices surge
- EgyptAir plane carrying 66 has crashed: Aviation officials - Times of India
- Thursday evening UK news briefing: British fighter captured in Ukraine by Russians
- NATO country poised to supply Ukraine with Russian-built jets in Putin hammer blow
- Ukraine war: Drone carrying bomb crashes into Croatian capital – crossed three EU nations
- RAF Typhoon jets scrambled above Scotland after squawking 'quick reaction alert'
- ISIS declare new 'global offensive' while 'the crusaders are fighting each other' and distracted by war in Ukraine
Greek fighter pilot dies after jet crashes in Aegean Sea amid rising tensions with Turkey have 319 words, post on www.independent.co.uk at April 12, 2018. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.