SAVANNAH, Ga. — A brutal winter storm dumped snow, sleet and freezing rain from normally balmy Florida up the Southeast seaboard Wednesday, delivering a white coating that some cities hadn’t seen in decades. Cars spun out of control on icy overpasses from Texas to Georgia. The water park at Disney World and other Florida theme parks closed because of the unusually cold temperatures, adding to the misery of a dayslong bitter cold snap across the country. Forecasters warned that conditions could worsen, especially in the Northeast. A winter storm warning extended from the Gulf Coast in Florida’s “Big Bend” region all the way up the Atlantic coast. Forecasters said hurricane-force winds blowing offshore on Thursday could generate 24-foot seas. Coastal flooding, downed trees and power lines were possible along the East Coast. CBS News weather producer David Parkinson reports a wind chill advisory has also been issued from Orlando to Boca Raton in Florida. Schools in the Southeast called off classes just months after being shut down because of hurricane threats, and police urged drivers to stay off the roads in a region little accustomed to the kind of winter woes common to the Northeast. In Savannah, famed for its… Read full this story
- Winter Storm Causes Car Crashes In Northeast Ohio: 2 Dead
- Winter Storm Photos: Watch Jonas Wallop the Eastern US
- South Jersey Sicko Accused of Anti-Semitic Vandalism, Plotting to Kill Black Shoppers with Machete at Mall
- No Snow, No Cold: Where Is Winter?
- Historic Arctic blast that has set record low single digit temperatures from Chicago to Texas, left six dead and brutalized 200 MILLION people is only expected to get WORSE
- North Korea's ceremonial leader Kim Yong Nam to visit South Korea for Olympics
- Winter Olympics: Day 10 roundup
- Australian state declares emergency as deadly wildfires rage
- Crisis hit A&Es shut their doors 500 times to desperately-ill patients amid winter crisis, shock report claims
- My best winter photograph
Deadly winter storm pummels South, targets Northeast have 312 words, post on www.cbsnews.com at January 3, 2018. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.