Vietnam’s air force marks US Christmas bombing of HanoiThe air force of Vietnam held a ceremony on December 21 to mark the 45th anniversary of the victory over the US Christmas bombing of Hanoi in 1972, known in Vietnamese as the Dien Bien Phu Victory in the air.The function is attended by Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc, Minister of Defence General Ngo Xuan Lich and Secretary of the Hanoi Party Committee Hoang Trung Hai.In a celebratory speech, Lt General Le Huy Vinh, commander of the air force, recalled the force’s resounding triumphs during the war against the US, notably the victory against US Operation Linebacker II in December of 1972.During the 12-day operation, Vietnamese soldiers and people fought heroically and shot down 34 B-52 aircraft and other strategic bombers, forcing the US to return to the negotiation table and sign the Paris agreement on ending the war and restoring peace in Vietnam.The victory provided a significant momentum for Vietnam to step up its southern liberation campaign and reunify the country less than two years later.Speaking at the ceremony, PM Phuc emphasised that the Dien Bien Phu Victory in the air has become a shining milestone in the Vietnamese history of… Read full this story
- Televised confessions on state-run TV consolidate China's social control
- David Cameron? He's a spiv. John Major? Grander than Mrs T. And Maggie herself? Socially insecure! In the final part of our series, society diarist KENNETH ROSE takes an ink-tipped stiletto to the entire political class
- The news images of the year: Brexit anger, Hong Kong protests and Theresa May’s tearful goodbye feature in Getty’s pick of 2019’s best photographs
- Social media addiction leaves half of Brits UNABLE to make friends in real life
- 23 things Raj Thackeray says about Modi
- Jeffrey Epstein Paris probe heats up as three victims speak with officials after claims pedophile abused French triplets, 12, who were sold by their parents and given to him as a birthday gift
- Warren health plan departs from US 'social insurance' idea
- 'No Blame?' ABC News finds 36 cases invoking 'Trump' in connection with violence, threats, alleged assaults.
- Gilroy Garlic Festival shooting: 3 killed, 12 wounded, gunman dead
- 7-phase Lok Sabha polls to begin April 11, counting on May 23: EC
Social News 23/12 have 368 words, post on english.vietnamnet.vn at December 22, 2017. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.