President Donald Trump’s apparent contradiction of his secretary of state’s stance on whether to attack North Korea wasn’t a contradiction at all, says one of Rex Tillerson’s closest advisers. Instead, it was a sharp sign that diplomatic channels between the U.S. and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un are “cooling,” according to Tillerson’s communications adviser, R.C. Hammond. Trump created confusion early Sunday with a series of tweets saying he told Tillerson “he is wasting his time trying to negotiate with Little Rocket Man”—a nickname the president has given to the North Korean dictator. The president’s tweets followed Tillerson’s meeting Saturday with Chinese officials in Beijing. There, Tillerson insisted his immediate goal is to “calm things down” in the standoff between Trump and Kim. Over the summer, North Korea ramped up testing of long-range missiles that could potentially deliver a nuclear warhead to the U.S., and early last month, the regime tested a nuclear weapon underground. “We’ve made it clear that we hope to resolve this through talks,” Tillerson said Saturday of the heightened nuclear tensions, after Trump promised in August to rain “fire and fury” on North Korea following a missile test. Related: Is North Korea preparing its missiles for… Read full this story
- Trump: 'Good chance' that North Korea summit happens
- UPDATE: President Trump to meet with North Korea's Kim in Singapore
- Why Did Trump Cancel Summit With North Korea? Five Reasons President Will Not Meet Kim Jong Un
- Kim still open to U.S. summit despite Trump’s abrupt cancellation: North Korea
- Trump optimistic about future North Korea talks, suggests June 12 summit could happen after all
- Trump: US team in North Korea for talks on summit
- Top U.S. senator says Trump looking to end North Korea crisis in first term
- Donald Trump: June talks with North Korea could be back on after 'productive talks'
- Donald Trump reveals plans for North Korea summit on June 12 are going ahead as Kim Jong-un says it’s his ‘fixed will’
- Trump: Reports that US-North Korea summit cannot happen June 12 are ‘WRONG’
Trump Didn't Contradict Tillerson on North Korea, Adviser Says have 344 words, post on www.newsweek.com at October 2, 2017. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.