There is a tremendous warmth and tenderness to this sweet, sad love story starring Annette Bening and Jamie Bell – a stranger-than-fiction true romance that unfolds in Los Angeles, New York, London and Liverpool – and there is a bittersweet rightness in a new song from Elvis Costello over the closing credits: You Shouldn’t Look at Me That Way. Director Paul McGuigan finds the balance between pathos and humour, working from Matt Greenhalgh’s adaptation of a memoir by the actor and writer Peter Turner. As an unknown, struggling young actor in the late 70s, Turner met and fell in love with Gloria Grahame, the legendary Hollywood star and Oscar-winner who, incredibly, was living in the same north London boarding house. She was in the endgame of her career yet maintaining a never-say-die optimism, looking for stage work in Britain and suppressing worries about her health. Then, some time after their affair ended, Turner received a phone call: Grahame had collapsed in her dressing room while on tour in the UK, and had asked to come and stay with Peter and his family in Liverpool, convinced that she could recover there. Kenneth Cranham and Julie Walters play Peter’s mum and dad… Read full this story
- Interview With Owen Egerton, Author of "How Best to Avoid Dying"
- The It List: HBO's 'Watchmen' series debuts, Angelina Jolie rocks Maleficent’s razor-sharp cheekbones again, 'Pulp Fiction' turns 25 and the best in pop culture the week of October 14, 2019
- Interview With Sherry Brantley, Author of "Best of Friends"
- The Age of Media Corporation Mega-Mergers Is Robbing Us of Bolder, Fresher Storytelling
- Della Griffin: Jazz and R&B Pioneer (Part 2)
- From Gypsies, Tramps, and Thieves to Dictators, Gymnasts, and Orphans - Images of Romanians
- Breaking Into Hollywood - How Do I Translate the Entertainment Trades Into Project Sales?
Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool review – Annette Bening and Jamie Bell in stranger-than-fiction love story have 302 words, post on www.theguardian.com at September 2, 2017. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.