Private equity has come a long way. What is now a $2.5 trillion industry managing money on behalf of public pensions and the like started as a hodgepodge of so-called leveraged buyout firms, popularized in the 1980s. Some historians would quibble and say the industry’s origins date back much further, though not in any stance like today. Business Insider recently sat down with Sandra Horbach, the cohead of US buyouts at the $158 billion Carlyle Group, to get a sense of how the industry has changed. Described as a trailblazer, Horbach is one of Carlyle’s most senior women. She also represents a rarity in the industry; only 7% of senior positions in buyouts are held by women, according to the data tracker Preqin. The buyout business typically involves buying up companies, often with borrowed money, and changing the companies to increase their value at a future point of sale. Those changes could include swapping out management and cutting business units or staff. Horbach previously focused on consumer and retail investing. Her current group oversees those industries as well as tech, media and telecom, aerospace and defense, industrial and transportation, and healthcare. Private equity is often grouped with hedge funds, as… Read full this story
- What does Zee-Sony deal mean for investors? Here's what experts have to say
- 3 Top Entertainment Stocks to Watch in September
- September Sell-Off: Is AMC Safe?
- American Outdoor Brands Inc (AOUT) Q2 2021 Earnings Call Transcript
- Facebook’s Good News
- Donald Trump’s Diet: He’ll Have Fries With That
- Debt ceiling fight pits corporate America against Republicans
- 'America's Oldest Park Ranger' is only her latest chapter
- Smith & Wesson Brands, Inc. (SWBI) Q3 2021 Earnings Call Transcript
- Smith & Wesson Brands, Inc. (SWBI) Q2 2021 Earnings Call Transcript
We talked to one of the most senior women on Wall Street about big deals, investment mistakes, and career advice have 279 words, post on www.businessinsider.sg at April 14, 2017. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.