Though he was born in peace time, Nguyen Doan Son’s passion is to make an historical painting that depicts the country’s struggle for independence. He is working on “Hanoi, defence line and flowers”.
This will be the largest historical painting in Vietnam, 9.39 x 2.15m. It depicts Hanoi streets in the early days of the war of resistance against the French.
The painting is a great artwork with different parts:
On-street battle: this part shows a ruined and deathly Hanoi but little fires on tanks show the durable, strong and indomitable vitality of Hanoians.
Contact boy: he may be a shoeshine boy or a poor boy who works as a contact man on the battlefield.
Inside the defence line: this part reflects rare peaceful moments on the battlefield, with each character following his/her own feeling, but in general, the unity is very clear.
Defence line and flowers: This is a quiet moment in the war – the flower salesgirl and a soldier.
However, the message that the painter wants to deliver is the image of 25 ancient banknotes, which are burning under the foot of the flower salesgirl and the soldier: assets or materials are meaningless in war!
Mother: the old curved back, white-haired mother is the symbol of weakness, who needs to be cared for, but when the country is in need, she is the strongest one, who gives the most, even her sons.
Painter Nguyen Doan Son said it is a great honour for him to make this huge painting to celebrate the 1,000th anniversary of Hanoi.
The sketch of this painting and oil extracts are on display at 19 Hang Buom, Hanoi. However, the artist still leaves many gaps in his paintings to wait for public opinion before finalising it. All opinions sent to the painter will be discussed on June 3.
- Cantonese flee pricey realty to Hanoi
- 8 Best Flower Plants For Your Balcony Garden
- Why Mallya sold Berger Paints to a 'shopkeeper'
- Defence industry may see spectacular growth after 2019 General Elections, says L&T's Jayant Patil
- I Waited 31 Hours and All I Got Was This Beautiful Painting
- More thirsty areas in Hanoi benefit from north's largest water plant
- Deadly California fault line may wake with 8.0 quake
- Largest water plant in Northern Vietnam opens to ease locals' thirst
- Astrodome to receive Recorded Texas Historic Landmark marker
- Hanoi greets more than 270,000 visitors during National Day holidays