© REUTERS / Jonathan DrakeUS Congressman: Special Prosecutor Needed in US Election ProbeMOSCOW (Sputnik) — The news outlet was told that an imminent withdrawal from the 47-seat watchdog, which is due to meet for a 34th session this Monday, was not in question, but said US State Department chief Rex Tillerson had been increasingly skeptical of the UN body. “There’s been a series of requests coming from the secretary of state’s office that suggests that he is questioning the value of the US belonging to the Human Rights Council,” the department’s former official familiar with the matter told Politico. Some of the concerns are that the council has been targeting Israel, a key US ally, over its treatment of the Palestinian minority, including a perceived lenient jail term for an Israeli soldier who had killed an incapacitated Palestinian attacker. Washington has also been critical of the UN body for giving seats to China and Saudi Arabia.
- The Latest: EU Council chief Tusk blasts Syria cease-fire
- The Latest: Trump says Erdogan assured him of cease-fire
- The Latest: Pompeo optimistic cease-fire in Syria will hold
- EU lawmakers reject Turkey's 'safe zone' in Syria, eye sanctions steps
- The Latest: Macron: Turkish offensive 'madness'
- Syria Kurds accuse Turkey of violating cease-fire
- Turkey's Erdogan warns US it has 120 hours to get Kurdish fighters out of Syria or he will restart attacks – as he claims 750 ISIS fighters have been released by the Kurds and 2million refugees could be sent to live in 'safe corridor'
- Donald Trump claims the Kurds want 'the ultimate solution' despite warnings of Turkey planning ethnic cleansing as he says White-House brokered ceasefire is 'a pause or whatever you want to call it'
- Syria cease-fire off to rocky start amid reports of fighting
- Turkish troops 'begin crossing into Syria' in preparation for an attack as Kurdish commanders warn of an 'impending humanitarian disaster' and beg world leaders for help
US Considering Withdrawal From UN Human Rights Council have 307 words, post on sputniknews.com at February 26, 2017. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.