German Chancellor Angela Merkel had some harsh words for US President Donald Trump at an event organized by the Handelsblatt newspaper on Wednesday. Speaking with reporters, she warned that Germany would not blindly follow the United States into a war with North Korea. She added that Trump’s “America First” attitude was putting him at risk of decreasing his country’s importance on the world stage. “An America that does not care about the rest of the world and just thinks about itself does not make for a big and great country,” said the chancellor, contradicting the US president’s insistence that his isolationist policies will make the US “win” against its rivals. Merkel was even clearer on the subject of North Korea: Germany has no intention of being dragged into a war on the other side of the world. ‘I do not agree’ that diplomacy won’t work “I do not agree that all diplomatic means have been exhausted,” Merkel said. She pointed out that North Korea’s neighbors, such as China, Japan and South Korea have a much more vested interest in keeping the situation with Pyongyang as peaceful as possible and that it was the job of their allies in the West to support… Read full this story
- Donald Trump slammed by Hitler’s great nephew who has secretly been living in New York
- German Chancellor Angela Merkel rejects May’s Chequers proposal
- Did Theresa May make veiled criticisms of Donald Trump in UN speech?
- Donald Trump slam dunked by wife Melania as she appears to side with NBA star Lebron James in Twitter row with the President
- Donald Trump celebrates Brett Kavanaugh victory with supporters as judge elected to Supreme Court
- Donald Trump taunts NBA star Lebron James on Twitter saying he prefers Michael Jordan
- Angela Merkel prepares for a rematch with Vladimir Putin
- Angela Merkel sacrifices her principles to make a migration deal
- UN General Assembly 2018: Donald Trump delivers speech after arriving late
- What is the Stormy Daniels Donald Trump scandal, what is her book Full Disclosure about and when was the alleged affair?
Chancellor Angela Merkel: President Donald Trump's isolationism risks making US irrelevant, not great have 341 words, post on www.dw.com at January 23, 2017. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.