Google Fiber has reportedly fallen “well short” of its goal of signing up 5 million subscribers and may be on the verge of making significant staff cuts. “Last month, Alphabet CEO Larry Page ordered Google Fiber’s chief, Craig Barratt, to halve the size of the Google Fiber team to 500 people,” according to a paywalled report from The Information that quotes people “close to Alphabet.” The report does not say whether any staff cuts have already occurred.Further ReadingGoogle Fiber re-thinks plans as it considers wireless alternative Google Fiber was announced in February 2010, and its first deployment went live in Kansas City in November 2012. The company reportedly hoped to get 5 million customers within five years, but by the end of 2014, Google Fiber had just 200,000 Internet subscribers. While an updated number hasn’t been revealed, “it’s still well short of initial expectations,” The Information report said. The cost of installing fiber in each city has also exceeded Alphabet’s expectations, the report said. Google Fiber also has hit delays in getting access to incumbent providers’ utility poles. “It’s believed that the company’s TV subscriber sign-up totals have been even worse, with one analyst last March suggesting that Google Fiber had just 53,390 pay TV subscribers… Read full this story
- Is Google Fiber on track to become major broadband competitor?
- Under Armour CEO Kevin Plank steps down months after report claimed employees were concerned about his relationship with married MSNBC host Stephanie Ruhle and her influence at the company
- Nasa could send a crew to orbit Mars in 2033 and land the first astronauts on the red planet in 2039, new report claims
- Google Fiber Halts Expansion, Lays off Employees
- Rumor: Google Fiber Team Looks to Cut Costs, Staff
- Google Fiber Ditching TV Service in New Cities
- News Corp. CEO calls Google thieves (and other things)
- Portland Inches One Step Closer to Google Fiber
- Google Fiber Offering Super Fast Internet for $70 Per Month
- Google Fiber Eyes Expansion With Webpass Buy
Alphabet CEO ordered Google Fiber to downsize, report claims have 337 words, post on arstechnica.com at August 25, 2016. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.