Police raided the cafe after Monis executed hostage Tori Johnson at point blank range at 2.13am on December 16, 2014. Barrister and mother-of-three, Katrina Dawson, 38, was killed in the crossfire by fragments of police bullets. The first two Tactical Operations Unit officers to enter the cafe — identified only as “Officer A” and “Officer B” — fired 22 rounds at Monis, more than 17 hours after the stand-off started. Monis was killed after he was struck by at least four intact rounds. Ballistics expert Lucas van der Walt said Monis was struck by police bullets at least twice, possibly three times in the head, and many more times in his upper body. “The damage to Monis’ head was caused by bullets was of such a nature one couldn’t see enough there to be able to tell you how many bullets struck it,” he said. “When a bullet hits a head, the temporary wound cavity is massive. “The fluids in the skull expand. And because it’s encased by the skull the skull bursts, basically like a balloon.” “I wouldn’t expect fragments to necessarily do that. I would expect a lot of velocity.” The inquest heard that Monis’ torso, was struck… Read full this story
- JAN MOIR: I fear Caroline Flack's whole life had become a trial
- Total War: Three Kingdoms—I'm on a mission to seize the throne as a devout pacifist
- Root provides Sri Lanka spark
- Great Train Robber's secret Pablo Escobar deal that got Britain hooked on cocaine
- COVID-19 cases in Victoria could 'hit the deck' by the end of next week - experts say - but here's why Melbourne's hotel quarantine nightmare is FAR from over
- 'My soul is in Damascus': portraits of life on the refugee trail
- Kakadu national park: what to do, where to go, what to see
- Burnley 1 Watford 0: Jay Rodriguez leaves Watford dangling just above relegation zone as Clarets sit pretty in 11th
- Who Won the Battle of Portland?
- ‘Hamilton’ Mania! Backstage at the Cultural Event of Our Time
Sydney siege inquest: Gunman Man Haron Monis’ head ‘burst like a balloon’ have 324 words, post on www.news.com.au at June 28, 2016. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.