From the very first moments of Chris Rock’s opening monologue, the tone for the night’s star-studded awards’ show was set, and he did not hold back. The outspoken funnyman took the opportunity to ‘out’ Hollywood for being racist at every turn, leaving some uncomfortable while others were glad to see the Academy hung out to dry. During his opening moments on stage, he said: “I thought about quitting. I thought about it real hard. But, I realised, they’re gonna have the Oscars anyway. They’re not gonna cancel the Oscars because I quit. You know? And the last thing I need is to lose another job to Kevin Hart, O.K.?” His return stint as the Oscars host began when he unabashedly confronted the racially charged elephant in the room – the furore over the all-white field of actors and actresses nominated for Hollywood’s highest honours. In an opening monologue peppered with biting, no-holds-barred commentary about what he described as “sorority”-style discrimination pervading the film industry, Rock set the stage for a night of running gags that repeatedly returned to themes of racial politics. Read more: Read more: In doing so, he transformed a glittering awards show long known for self-reverential pomp… Read full this story
- Comedian Jimmy Kimmel FLEES Los Angeles for a secret location to avoid race row after blackface skits and audio of him using the n-word to impersonate Snoop Dogg resurfaced
- Netflix top pick movies to watch in January 2021: Booksmart, The White Tiger and MORE
- Netflix: top movies to watch this week in January 2021
- Celebrity deaths in 2020: Famous faces lost this year from Caroline Flack to Stella Tennant
- The 100 best films on Amazon Prime Video to watch right now
Oscars host Chris Rock divides Hollywood audience with racism jibes and Jada slurs have 284 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at February 29, 2016. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.