PUBLISHED: 12:00 21 February 2016 | UPDATED: 17:03 09 March 2016 Alex Bellotti Kano is one of the founding fathers of music genre Grime Archant Grime godfather Kano talks about the evolution of the genre he helped to create and the release of his new album featuring Blur frontman Damon Albarn. Kano performing on stage. Picture: Tara Vickers/EMPICS/PA Images Yet the genre of grime, which came to prominence in the early 2000s, has always stayed close to its roots, most of which were laid down in the streets of east London. Alongside artists such as Dizzee Rascal and Wiley, Kano is widely regarded as one of grime’s founding fathers. Having started his career with the N.A.S.T.Y crew, who broadcasted from the pirate radio station Déjà Vu in Bow, the rapper’s love of dancehall, bass-heavy instrumentation and quick fire lyricism was pivotal in a genuinely British hip hop revolution. Five records in, however, and Kano is back at the beginning. His new album Made in the Manor is laden with inspiration from his years growing up in East Ham. Recorded in both Hackney and Holloway, its development even saw him making a trip to his old school, Langdon Secondary School. Clearly,… Read full this story
- Album reviews: Plan B, Peace, Gaz Coombes, Leon Bridges, Frank Turner, Eleanor Friedberger
- Zimbabwe: Top Gospel Artists for Mhere's Album Launch
- Interview: Grammy winner Daniel Weatherspoon starts new chapter with 'The Langley Park Project'
- 5 New York Times Writers on What They Got Right and Wrong in the Early ’80s
- John Prine proves he's still one of the greats with new songs at his Milwaukee concert
- Summerfest, new Milwaukee Bucks Arena, Alpine Valley offering $20 tickets for 18 concerts
- Kenya: Wahu Stays True to New Found Salvation With Gospel Hit
- Tom Petty, Van Halen ... Prince?! This Des Moines duo created art for some of rock's biggest albums
- Culture Report: An Artist Builds a Moment of Zen
- New record label aims to follow in footsteps of indie legends Factory and Stiff
East Ham’s grime artist Kano on new album Made In The Manor have 325 words, post on www.newhamrecorder.co.uk at February 21, 2016. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.