Before we usher in the new year, it’s time for a retrospective of 2015.Here’s our roundup of some of the biggest stories across the country, events that influenced national conversations on issues from police brutality to gay marriage, tragedies that shook our psyche and acts of heroism that showed Americans at their best. Alabama: Despite U.S. ruling legalizing gay marriage, gay adoption still a battle in the statesIt’s a story chock-full of contention. Two lesbian mothers fight for custody of their three children. Two state courts are at odds over adoption rights for same-sex couples — or at least until the Supreme Court stepped in. But first, some background: When the women — identified only as “E.L.” and “V.L.” in court documents — were still together, they temporarily moved to Georgia to sidestep Alabama law, which wouldn’t allow V.L. to legally adopt the children (E.L. was their birth mother). Georgia, on the other hand, was fine with it. But when the couple split up, things got messy. E.L. decided Alabama had the right idea after all and denied V.L. parental rights. And V.L. wasn’t having it. She took things all the way up to the Supreme Court, which blocked Alabama’s ruling on Dec. 14. If you need an explainer (we bet you… Read full this story
- Entrepreneurship Story; Over Regulation in Franchising Final Chapter
- China Part I
- Chevrolet Vega
- Death of an Automobile Dealership
- Author of "Spirituality Simplified", Jeff Mazariak, Interviewed
- Remote Backup as Part of a Disaster Recovery Strategy
- If It Looks Like A Duck And Walks Like A Duck - Where Is Royalty Free?
- Lotto System: Interview With The Creator Of Lotto System That ROCK The Market!!!
- A User-Friendly Vaccination Schedule
- The Beginner's Guide to Freelance Writing
Year in Review: 50 stories from 50 states have 292 words, post on www.usatoday.com at December 22, 2015. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.