“Who the bloody hell am I?” asks a young Peter-not-quite Pan in Pan, the costly $150 million Warner Bros. bomb in which J.M. Barrie’s immortal boy-hero embraces his destiny on an island ruled by a dandy pirate (Hugh Jackman). That dandy pirate isn’t the familiar Captain Hook we love to loathe, but Blackbeard, a sickly megalomaniac who forces his slave army of orphans to sing “Smells Like Teen Spirit” as they mine for pixie dust, and this Peter hasn’t yet become the boy who can fly although we’re repeatedly told he’s the chosen one, the reluctant superhero, the Neo of Neverland. If that doesn’t quite sound like the Peter Pan you know, it’s not, and Peter’s existential crisis extends to the garish, ambitious, curiously odd, and utterly flawed Pan. Cobbling together patchwork parts of every fantasy blockbuster from Harry Potter to Indiana Jones to Avatar to The Matrix, the big-budget prequel aims to reimagine the century-old character yet again, despite the fact that over a dozen other big-screen adaptations and spinoffs have been attempted to varying degrees of success. Each time someone tries to bring Peter Pan back to life, it seems, they don’t learn from the past. As Warner… Read full this story
- Hollywood Scraps Clinton Impeachment Shows but Moves Forward with Anti-Trump Docs
- Box office hits and misses: The Martian stays in orbit while Pan fails to fly
- Peter Thiel’s money talks, but what does he say?
- Plenty to smile about! Pregnant Sylvia Jeffreys shows off her baby bump during a romantic stroll with husband Peter Stefanovic amid reports she's set to take over as host on ACA
- Exclusive – Peter Schweizer: Mitch McConnell’s Deep Financial Ties to China ‘Unprecedented’ in U.S. History
- Space Math Heroes of 'Hidden Figures' Inspire Nat Geo Drama Series
- Ubisoft and Sony partner for Assassin’s Creed movie – and Hollywood isn’t happy about it
- Misha Nonoo's VIP guests included Hollywood A-listers, Ivanka Trump and Prince Harry and Meghan Markle... so how did ex-Surrey schoolgirl Misha Nonoo pull off such a crazily OTT wedding?
- Director Peter Jackson: ‘The Hobbit’ is shot at twice the normal frame rate
- 35th Razzie Award Nominations highlight the worst of Hollywood
Why Can’t Hollywood Figure Out Peter Pan? have 368 words, post on www.thedailybeast.com at October 13, 2015. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.