Second of two parts For all their self-righteous “Never Again” mantra, and their odium against Ferdinand Marcos, it was the Liberal Party and the Communist Party of the Philippines that gave the excuse for him to impose martial law, and to perpetuate himself in power beyond his constitutional term. Perhaps in the recesses of Marcos’ mind, for this, he was so thankful at the height of his power and wealth in 1979 to Liberal Party leaders like Benigno Aquino, Jr. and Communist Party leaders Jose Ma. Sison and NPA supreme Commander Dante that he spared them from execution by musketry his court martial had condemned them to. I asked last Monday: Despite its deep brainwashing by their US mentors in the values of democracy, why did our military support martial law when it was imposed in 1972 and throughout the 13 years it lasted? The answer is this: the Liberal Party’s so-called “Jabidah” investigations in 1968 and the Communist Party’s bombing of this same party’s miting de avance on August 21, 1971 convinced the military — and even most of the Filipino body politic — that our democratic institutions were an utter failure, and the elites a traitorous, and opportunistic… Read full this story
- Senate inquiry into Great Barrier Reef seen as bid to discredit Queensland laws
- China makes defaming revolutionary heroes punishable by law
- Reef protection laws pass despite industry attacks on their scientific basis
- Erdoğan party defeated in controversial rerun of Istanbul mayoral poll
- Aussies partying in skimpy briefs arrested at F1 in Malaysia
- Mixed martial arts off to fast start in New York state
- Boris Johnson's bid for snap election is CRUSHED: Corbyn chickens out of letting public go to the polls as MPs inflict humiliating defeat on PM hours after passing law to stop No Deal
- Missouri lawmakers ban abortions after eight weeks of pregnancy as Mike Pence PRAISES Alabama's near-total ban for 'embracing life' and accuses Democrat-led states of backing 'extreme' laws
- What has President Trump said about your country?
- Defiant Hong Kong soccer fans boo China anthem at match
Liberal and Communist parties provoked martial law imposition have 333 words, post on www.manilatimes.net at September 22, 2015. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.