The African American Mayors Association, led by Kevin Johnson, opens its annual meeting today in Washington, D.C. The former NBA star and current mayor of Sacramento has been the president of the association since its founding in 2013—when, as president of the Atlanta-based National Conference of Black Mayors, he declared the older group bankrupt and resigned from it. The NCBM was a historically significant but poorly managed organization. By the time Johnson walked away from it to start the competing AAMA, it was crippled. This produced litigation now sitting in county and federal courthouses in the state of Georgia, in which remaining members of the NCBM accuse Johnson of first scheming to seize control of the group, then destroying it. Advertisement The filings allege that Johnson covertly organized a public/private consortium to launch what he called a “coup” against the NCBM. It was a study in overkill. His army included three public-sector PR firms plus his own mayoral communications staff, a law firm that boasts about its prominent role in the charter school industry, and his wife, the charter-school activist Michelle Rhee. For all his side’s might, Johnson’s mission was a disaster. As soon as the old group’s old guard… Read full this story
- Kevin Hart Heckles Dwayne Johnson During
- Kevin Hart Says 'We All Have the Ability to Grow' After Discussing Oscars Controversy on
- Kevin Hart Receives Love from Pals Like Dwayne Johnson After Car Crash: 'Stay Strong'
- Online retailers are destroying goods but won't say how much ends up as trash
- Kevin Hart Steps Out for the First Time Since Car Crash to Play Poker with Jay-Z and Friends
- Are 'Fixer Upper' Stars Chip and Joanna Gaines Saving Waco, or Destroying It?
- Bloomberg's attempt to get black voters to forgive and forget just got a lot harder
- Professor of Black Studies brands whiteness a 'psychosis' and urges social media followers to read book called White Rage hours after outraging GMB viewers by saying the 'British Empire did MORE harm to the world than the NAZIS'
- Masked vandals paint bomb and destroy Australia's most famous laneway – and locals stand by filming on their phones instead of stopping them
- Heavy Metal, Year One: The Inside Story of Black Sabbath’s Groundbreaking Debut
How Kevin Johnson Destroyed A Black Mayors Group To Promote His Brand have 369 words, post on deadspin.com at May 28, 2015. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.