For the past two weeks, New Yorkers have been swarming on and off of highways and bridges, blocking major roads and intersections, and holding die-ins for Eric Garner—a 42-year-old man who was killed by NYPD officer Daniel Pantaleo on July 17, 2014. Pantaleo will not face a trial. The grand jury’s non-indictment alarmed some; Eric Garner’s death had been taped start to finish by Ramsey Orta, a Staten Island resident and friend. The video was released to the New York Daily News the next day. The non-indictment cast doubt on growing cop-watch activities and police body cameras initiatives. Does video evidence even matter? Andrew Padilla began cop watching earlier this year with the Harlem cop-watch team and says cop watch transformed the way he viewed himself and his relationship to police in the city: “As someone who’s been stopped and frisked at gunpoint before, as someone who from a very young age is told by their parents: understand that you’re a person of color, you are going to be treated fundamentally differently [by police]. What does that do to you? [You] develop a sense of powerlessness in you…. Going from [that] to actually getting people off of an illegal stop… Read full this story
- Body Camera Footage of George Floyd’s Final Moments Leaked to the Public for the First Time
- NY officer's body camera reveals horrific crime scene in murder-for-hire plot aftermath
- Cinema horror as 13 viewers FAINT during new gruesome ultra-violent film
- Curtis Armstrong on Supernatural, Nerds movies, and being hated on Moonlighting
- “A Cop Movie,” Reviewed: A Revelatory Docu-Fiction About Police in Mexico
- Bobcat Goldthwait and Dana Gould ‘Hated’ Each Other’s Comedy. Now They Can’t Get Enough.
- The End of the Fictional Cop
- 'Worst phone call I've ever had to make': Fiance of Australian killed by US cop breaks down
- Brazil experiments with body cams to reduce deaths by police
- Video: Body Cam Footage Released Of Anton Black’s Arrest
The Cops Hate Being Filmed. So Why Are They OK With Body Cameras? have 320 words, post on www.thenation.com at December 19, 2014. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.