Summer was fun, with vacation and brunches and lazy days with friends. But fall brings the return of the bustling social season, starting with the opening nights of the San Francisco Symphony on Sept. 3 and the San Francisco Opera on Sept. 5. Such grand occasions call for us to brush up on big-city behavior. Herewith, a guide to gala etiquette, grouped by seven components of any soiree that can inspire faux pas. Heed our advice, and you’re sure to be fumble-free. Attire 1. Galas are black-tie affairs. Men wear a tuxedo or formal dinner jacket. Women (or anyone dressed like one) wear a floor-length gown or a formal evening pantsuit (tuxedo fine, too). 2. Take care with your appearance. This is not the night to change at the office, as if going to a cocktail party in business casual. 3. Gentlemen: If you look like every other man in the room, congrats — you did nothing wrong! 4. Ladies: If you see other women in the same gown, you have two choices — handle it with humor, and let photographers snap you and your doppelgängers together, or fire your stylist on Monday. 5. Choose elegance over sexiness. If your… Read full this story
- Lidar on the iPhone 12 Pro: What it can do now, and why it matters for the future
- The best Amazon Echo tips and tricks
- Grab the best Black Friday deals with our top money-saving tips
- Dale Moss models Halloween costumes for Party City before joining season 16 of The Bachelorette
- Overwatch: Essential tips and tricks for securing a victory
- Bose QuietComfort Earbuds beat AirPods Pro on sound and noise canceling, but not design
- Helena Bonham Carter, 54, looks giddy on late night stroll with her boyfriend Rye Dag Holmboe, 32
- IPL 2020: SRH vs RCB Eliminator Dream11 Team Prediction, Tips, Best Playing 11 Details
- Apple iPhone 12 Pro vs. iPhone 11 Pro: Should you upgrade?
- The best Powerbeats Pro alternatives (and they’re cheaper, too)
Pro tips: 32 party do’s and don’ts have 308 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at August 29, 2014. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.