Nearly 200 cases of measles have been reported in the United States so far this year, making 2013 one of the worst for measles outbreaks in the last decade, according to new numbers from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.Typically there are about 60 cases of measles in the U.S. yearly, but in 2013, there have been 175 cases as of Nov. 30. Since 2000, the only other year with more cases of measles was 2011, when there were 222 measles cases.This year also saw the largest single outbreak of measles in 17 years, when the virus sickened 58 people in an orthodox Jewish community in New York.Measles was eliminated in the United States in 2000. In public health terms, “eliminated” means there is no longer a continuous spread of measles in the U.S., but sporadic cases do occur.Cases usually occur when a person is infected with measles in another country, and brings the virus back to the United States. When this happens, outbreaks can pop up, particularly in pockets of unvaccinated people. Nearly all measles cases in 2013 could be traced back to an infection that occurred abroad, the CDC said. [5 Dangerous Vaccination Myths]The increase in cases… Read full this story
- Covid-19 incidence more than triple among Native Americans, new CDC report says
- Medical Records Can’t Explain “Havana Syndrome,” A Buried CDC Report Says
- CDC Report Warns Of “Exponential” Covid-19 Growth Due To UK Variant; Los Angeles Considers New Shutdowns As A Result
- Coronavirus: India's Chennai back in lockdown as cases spike
- COVID-19 cases spike in Ernakulam
- COVID-19: Warning of UK cases spike if vaccinated people break coronavirus rules
- Japan calls emergency for Tokyo area as cases spike
- Health Officials Brace For A Surge In US Covid-19 Cases After The Holidays
- State-by-state breakdown of COVID cases, deaths and vaccine rollout: 100,000 Americans are expected to die in next month but cases and hospitalizations ARE slowing across some states - as Fauci says plan to vaccinate 100m in 100 days 'will work'
- CDC: Highly Contagious UK COVID-19 Variant May Become Dominant US Strain by March
Measles Cases Spiked in 2013, CDC Reports have 330 words, post on www.livescience.com at December 5, 2013. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.