How do you build an orphanage out of flip-flops? That’s the task that Rob and Paul Forkan have set themselves by next year, in time to mark the 10th anniversary of the Boxing Day tsunami, in which they lost both their parents while travelling in Sri Lanka. The brothers, who lost almost everything in the 2004 disaster, have set up Gandys, a new “brand for good” selling flip-flops which promises to give 10% of the profits from every pair sold to help other orphans around the world. Starting out from a small flat in Brixton, south London, 18 months ago, the Forkans have built a brand stocked in 400 stores including Selfridges and Topman and won the support of high-profile fans including Richard Branson and the pop star Jessie J. This year the company expects to turn over £1.2m. This week they collected an award for accessories and footwear design at the WGSN Global Fashion Awards in London, lining up alongside big name award-winners from the world of fashion including Acne, Erdem and Net-a-Porter. Rob and Paul were 13 and 11 when their parents, Kevin and Sandra, pulled them out of school in Croydon to work on humanitarian projects in… Read full this story
- The Untold Story of Napoleon Hill, the Greatest Self-Help Scammer of All Time
- Five times the children of famous wrestlers were spectacular failures
- eBay Escapades: How To Be A Small Time Car Flipping Crook
- The Flying Burrito Brother
- Jason Roberts Foundation starts new football league to help Brent’s youngsters
- Agent change could set Jose Berrios up for a rich future with the Twins
- Where Surfing in China Gained a Foothold, Typhoon Mangkhut Left Ruins
- 5 tips to navigating the US Open of Surfing 2018 in Huntington Beach
- Five Island Beaches, One 2017 Ford Fusion Energi – Can It Be Done on EV Power Alone?
- Ryan Kalil’s welcome-to-the-NFL moment taught Panthers center a lesson to pay forward
Brothers orphaned by tsunami set up flip-flop business to help children have 306 words, post on www.theguardian.com at November 1, 2013. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.