Prince George’s County prosecutors are dropping charges against Maryland running back Wes Brown, weeks after he was accused of assaulting a police officer who was trying to question him about a shooting, a spokesman said Monday. Prosecutors decided to dismiss the case after reviewing the evidence ahead of a preliminary hearing scheduled for Wednesday, said John Erzen, a spokesman for the county state’s attorney’s office. Brown was arrested near the campus in College Park this month after police said he assaulted an officer who was trying to question him about a non-fatal shooting in Baltimore. Police said at the time that Brown fled from the officer and used someone else’s cell phone to secretly record his conversation with the officer. But Erzen said the conversation was never actually recorded and that the phone wasn’t stolen because Brown had given the owner collateral. He said prosecutors now believe Brown was resisting an unlawful arrest, as he was permitted to do, instead of illegally assaulting an officer. ”There’s nowhere to go with this at this point. We don’t believe after screening . . . that any crimes were committed. We’re not going with charges,” Erzen said. After the arrest, the university suspended… Read full this story
- Prosecutors drop sex assault charge against Harvey Weinstein after contradictions arise in accuser Lucia Evans’ account
- ‘The People vs. O.J. Simpson’ Premiere: Big, Bold, and Shockingly Relevant
- ESPN's Stephen A. Smith Says Philadelphia Eagles Should Sign Antonio Brown
- 'Sister Wives' Fans React to Possible Polygamy Charges Against Brown Family
- Report: No evidence St. Louis prosecutor was threatened
- Stephon Clark case doesn’t lend itself to easy answers, or quick ones
- EXCLUSIVE: Botham Jean's neighbor Joshua Brown was 'assassinated', his family lawyer says, and is refusing to rule out police involvement after he was gunned down just days after testifying in cop Amber Guyger's murder trial
- The best iPhone XS cases and covers
- The best Galaxy S8 cases and covers
- Brown, White, Wild or Red Rice: Which Rice Is Best For Weight Loss?
Prosecutors drop case vs. Brown have 334 words, post on www.foxsports.com at July 28, 2013. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.