VietNamNet Bridge – She has three villas, but they are not the property that architect Nguyen Thi Minh Hieu, in Vinh Ngoc commune, Nha Trang city, Khanh Hoa province, considers most valuable. For her, the 1,200 stone mortars she has collected over the past 12 years are her treasure. The day Hieu married, her grandmother asked: “what did you like as your wedding gift?” Hieu said immediately: “Your millstone.” Of course the grandmother was very surprised at the suggestion of her niece, but then she understood. Hieu is the girl with strong personality. When she was a little girl, Hieu loved stone mortars of her family. She used to stand on them, to see herself taller than others. The stone mortar of her grandmother is just a small corner of memories so Hieu took it as a wedding gift. But to become a passion later, the stone mortars in Dien Lac village, Dien Khanh district really obsessed her. The “hardness” of millstones when they make rice into cakes, noodles is what makes Hieu thought of the hardship of rural mothers. The childhood of Hieu was associated with the millstones of her grandmother and mother, so that later when she had…
- Architects speak out about industry sexism in tributes to Zaha Hadid
- 'We hate the headscarf': can women find freedom in Tehran's female-only parks?
- Labour's Ian Murray Launches Deputy Leader Bid, Attacks 'Architects of Failure'
- John Lewis' first-ever female managing director, 46, is SACKED after just three years in the top job as company announces sales slump
- Dear Hollywood, Please Give Michelle Rodriguez Her Own Action Franchise
- Women in Charge: How Close Is a Female-Led Parliament?
- Transgender surgery addict spends £52,000 on four boob jobs, two rounds of lipo and 150 face fillers to have 'the perfect female body' - and says her wife is standing by her
- Meet the 'Banana Women': The all-female, indigenous firefighting crew that works 24/7 to protect their drought-ravaged community and sacred land from going up in flames
- Female prison officer, 40, will be jailed after admitting behind-bars romance with gangster 'Cocky' Curtis Warren who once appeared on Sunday Times Rich List
- OBASI, NIGERIA’S 2ND FEMALE VC: Proving her mettle
Female architect owns 1,200 millstones have 367 words, post on at January 5, 2013. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.