With steroids easy to buy, testing weak and punishmentsinconsistent, college football players are packing on significantweight – 30 pounds or more in a single year, sometimes – withoutdrawing much attention from their schools or the NCAA in a sportthat earns tens of billions of dollars for teams.Rules vary so widely that, on any given game day, a team with astrict no-steroid policy can face a team whose players haverepeatedly tested positive.An investigation by The Associated Press – based on dozens ofinterviews with players, testers, dealers and experts and ananalysis of weight records for more than 61,000 players – revealedthat while those running the multibillion-dollar sport believe theproblem is under control, that is hardly the case.—EDITOR’S NOTE – Whether for athletics or age, Americans fromteenagers to baby boomers are trying to get an edge by illegallyusing anabolic steroids and human growth hormone, despitewell-documented risks. This is the first of a two-part series.—The sport’s near-zero rate of positive steroids tests isn’t anaccurate gauge among college athletes. Random tests provide weakdeterrence and, by design, fail to catch every player usingsteroids. Colleges also are reluctant to spend money on expensivesteroid testing when cheaper ones for drugs like marijuana allowthem to say they’re doing everything… Read full this story
- These 3 Teams Will Help Shape the College Football Playoff
- College Football: Alabama Stays Unbeaten, Clemson and Notre Dame Also Win
- HBO announces “24/7 College Football” program featuring Washington State, three other programs
- College football awards tracker: Who's leading through September
- Time To Check In On Jim McVay And His Ridiculous College Football Grift
- College Football Conference Championships: Who Will Make the Playoff?
- College Football Playoff: Alabama vs. Oklahoma; Clemson vs. Notre Dame
- From Roses to Cheez-Its, Your Guide to All 40 College Football Bowls
- College football by the odds: Vegas picks and preview of every Week 3 game
- College football by the odds: Vegas picks and preview of every Week 5 game
Steroids loom in major-college football have 305 words, post on www.foxsports.com at December 31, 2012. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.