Data Analysis Strongest Solar Storm since 2005 Hits EarthThis image, taken Sunday night, January 22, 2012, shows a solar flare erupting on the Sun’s northeastern hemisphere. Space weather officials say the strongest solar storm in more than six years is already bombarding Earth with radiation with more to come. The Space Weather Prediction Center in Colorado observed a flare Sunday night at 11 p.m. EST. Physicist Doug Biesecker said the biggest concern from the speedy eruption is the radiation, which arrived on Earth an hour later. It will likely continue through Wednesday. It’s mostly an issue for astronauts’ health and satellite disruptions. It can cause communication problems for airplanes that go over the poles. (AP Photo/NASA)The sun is bombarding Earth with radiation from the biggest solar storm in more than six years, with more to come from the fast-moving eruption. The solar flare occurred at about 11 p.m. EST on Sunday, January 22, 2012, and will hit Earth with three different effects at three different times. The biggest issue is radiation, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Space Weather Prediction Center in Colorado. The radiation is mostly a concern for satellite disruptions and astronauts in space. It can… Read full this story
- Weather warning extended to seven more counties as Storm Hector hits Ireland
- Huge hole on surface of sun could cause chaos on Earth
- Storm Hector 2018 – where is it now and what’s the latest UK weather forecast?
- Storm Hector tracker – where and when will it hit the UK and what’s the latest weather forecast?
- Weather warning for Northern Ireland as Storm Hector swoops in
- Retailers hit for six after Storm Emma kept customers away from shops
- Substance that gives birds mysterious power to see Earth’s magnetic field discovered by scientists
- US stepping up Earth’s protection from asteroids
- Japan space explorer arrives at asteroid – 170 million miles from Earth
- What are asteroids, when will 2010 WC9 fly past Earth and could a meteor strike destroy the planet?
Strongest Solar Storm since 2005 Hits Earth have 324 words, post on www.scientificcomputing.com at January 23, 2012. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.