A decade after two hijacked planes took down the World Trade Center, the attack on the twin towers remained the biggest story of the year. The 10th anniversary of the terrorist attack in lower Manhattan was voted the top New York story of 2011 by Daily News readers, barely edging out the historic legalization of gay marriage. The 9/11 commemoration was marked by FDNY survivors in somber firehouses, by President Obama at the annual Ground Zero gathering, by family members still mourning despite the passage of time. The grim date arrived six weeks after hundreds of same-sex couples were wed on a busy summer Sunday when 659 marriage licenses were issued and 484 ceremonies performed. YOU CHOSE: WORLD’S BIGGEST STORIES OF 2011 New York had earlier become the sixth and largest state to legalize gay marriage. Daily News readers said “I do” to the decision, rating gay marriage as the second biggest local news event of the year. Story No. 3 was Occupy Wall Street, which took root in Zucotti Park before spreading across the country and around the globe — and then disappearing as cities cracked down on the protesters. It’s hard to cover this next sordid tale in… Read full this story
- 'Droves' of people are fleeing New York City permanently to live in the suburbs or smaller cities - sparking questions of how the city will bounce back once coronavirus lockdown is lifted
- The Forbidden City: Face-to-Face with New York in Crisis
- Wall Street’s bulls triumph in a week of doubt and dismal data
- DraftKings hopes to cash in at the Super Bowl and on Wall Street
- Wall Street surges as Congress preps more stimulus and oil bounces back
- 5 Surprises At The New Big City Walmart In Washington, D.C.
- A city under siege: 24 hours in the fight to save New York
- Lehman's fall to earth: the last hours of a Wall Street giant
- Cuomo’s Decision to Hire McKinsey to Handle New York Coronavirus Data Raises Concerns over Firm’s Chinese Communist Ties
- Asian shares plunge after Wall Street’s worst day since ’87
2011 in Review: 9/11, gay marriage approval and Occupy Wall Street protests were biggest stories in New York City have 336 words, post on www.nydailynews.com at December 25, 2011. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.