Jim Boeheim stood at the center of the Carrier Dome court that bears his name, smiling broadly following his 800th victory.“I appreciate you all staying up so late. It’s way past my bedtime,” the 65-year-old Hall of Fame coach told the crowd after his milestone triumph late Monday night, a 75-43 victory over Albany in the 2K Sports Classic. “I’d like to thank all the fans who make this the best place in the country to play basketball.”Boeheim, whose first victory was 75-48 over Harvard on Nov. 26, 1976, became the eighth Division I coach to reach 800 wins. Bob Knight leads the career list with 902 victories. Only Mike Krzyzewski (833), Jim Calhoun (804) and Boeheim are active among those who have reached 800.Krzyzewski, who had Boeheim as an assistant on the U.S. Olympic gold medal-winning team in Beijing last year, offered a video tribute afterward.“I wish I had been there tonight,” he said. “You’re as good a guy that’s coached the game.”Arinze Onuaku scored 14 points, and Scoop Jardine, Wes Johnson and Kris Joseph each had 12 for Syracuse (1-0) in the tournament that benefits Coaches vs. Cancer.After the final buzzer, Boeheim received a framed jersey with No…. Read full this story
- Gujarat Civic Poll Results: BJP Wins Big In Vadodara, Jamnagar, Rajkot; AAP Makes Inroads, Congress Routed
- U.S. Routs European Team to Take Back the Ryder Cup
- McKee Leads Stanford’s 42-28 Upset Rout Of No. 14 USC
- Emmys 2021 predictions: Who should win – and who will win
- Emma Raducanu makes surprising admission after winning £1.8m prize money at US Open
- Emmys Latest: Sudeikis celebrates "big team win" for "Lasso"
- NFL Week 2 grades: Saints get an 'F' for ugly loss to Panthers, Packers earn 'A-' for Monday night win
- Abbeville shows balance in shutout road win to improve to 4-0
- How to Decimate a City
- A migration odyssey: Tagging whimbrel shorebirds
Boeheim captures 800th win in Syracuse rout have 308 words, post on www.foxsports.com at November 9, 2009. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.